The mkiv Supra Owners Club

cost of standard n/a exhaust

Wyntersun

While I have my car in the garage being resprayed, I thought I would get a quote for a new standard exhaust. As I currently have a decat job and its too loud for my liking.

Anyway I have been quoted:

£600 for a new cat

£288 for the middle box

£233 for the back box

$40.50 for the chrome endings.

All without vat and fitting,

Is it really this mush for a standard exhaust from the 1st cat backwards?

Matt

If they are genuine Toyota parts I'm surprised they aren't more expensive than that TBH.

There must be loads of 2nd hand stock exhausts going, try posting in the wanted section. Alternatively you could get a silencer welded into the mid pipe of you current exhaust to quieten it down.

I'd check a dealership. I've not come across a "bog standard" aftermarket exhaust for a Supra, so who knows what they are quoting you on?

IIRC when I looked into spares for my car the back box was £150+VAT but that was several years ago.

I fitted an HKS Silent Power to my N.A. and silent it was not, nearly vibrated my fillings out.:looney:

So I added a Moroso spiral muffler to my system, the difference it made was amazing, cost about £50.

Works really well for something so small, and no restriction either.

Available for any size pipe up to 3".

There are some snaps in my profile album.

Edited by David P (see edit history)

cheers mate, I might have a look at them as my exhaust I have now is in really good nick as its SS. Be a shame to swap it for a standard one. I don't abit of a nice burble tone, just not something that sets off car alarms or wakes the neighbours up at 6am when I go to work!!!

How would I fit one of these things?

With the pipe at each end, they are about 12" long, so I cut them down to 9" and they will then fit in anywhere.

I then just cut out 9" of pipe in the Silent Power and welded it in.

They don't have baffles, they split the flow into 2, the flow around the ouside travels further than the flow through the middle.

This turns the exhaust note into a 'harmony'.

Each one removes 7 dB, and the sound of the straight 6 is amazing.

This link is not a straight 6, but gives you an idea how well they work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xMwCLF1ioY&feature=related

Edited by David P (see edit history)

I can't warrent over a grand on a new exhaust!!

The cat back exhaust (mid pipe/back box) is similar in price to an aftermarket cat back exhaust at just over £500.

The catalytic convertor is expensive, as they usually use platinum inside as the catalyst.

As already mentioned post an ad in the wanted section, if you are lucky someone may be giving one away, if not they normally dont go for much over £50.

Failing that, again as already mentioned the Tanabe Medallion is a cracking exhaust for the money, twin box and very quiet, I use one on mine and never had issues with trackdays ;)

Cheers lads, I may be swapping my exhaust with The Raven's standard exhaust as we both live local.

if I was to buy the Tanabe Medallion, which does actually look very nice, will it attatch quite eaisly to the 1st CAT that has been left on the down pipe already?

Just found a link on the site to a UK retailer http://www.tokyo-express.co.uk/tanabe-usa/exhaust/MedalionTouring.htm

Says its under 93db, is that quiet? does anyone have one fitted?

A completely stock Supra (stock exhaust and both cats) is rated at 87Db. The quietest aftermarket exhaust I know of is the Blitz NUR Touring, the Blitz NUR RX is also one of the quietest.

Blitz NUR Touring - 88Db

Blitz NUR RX - 91Db