The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ebay brake discs

jackso11

I have never replaced brake discs before but am planning a complete brake overhaul.

What would the difference be between something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Supra-93-99-16-Drilled-Rear-Brake-Discs-/180462976511?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a046e7dff

and something like this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYOTA-CELICA-ST205-GT4-TURBO-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-REAR-/300386382809?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item45f06c73d9

other that one set is twice the price of the other?

The general opinion on ebay brakes is not to bother. I wouldnt even entertain the first option, they will warp, the drilled holes will crack and you'll be buying a new set before you know it. Personally i wouldnt fit the second either, they will also certainly crack around the holes with any 'spirited' driving. Some on here recommend 3G, some dont, DBA disks are good. Personally i prefer stocks discs, good pads, good fluid and braided lines.

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

Ive done 'aftermarket' discs on other cars. They end up very noisy, squeeky, warp, holes crack. You end up driving round trying not to use the brakes! But of course, they look good behind the wheel, no thanks.

Obviously i'm only commenting on discs such as in this thread and not big brake kits.

I have a set of cw rears (not on the car yet), will be getting a set of cw fronts, braided hoses and new fluid. Plan is for a total brakes overhaul to see how much better I can make them. Then if they are still not as good as I want, I will start to look at different calipers.

My car came with a set of aftermarket big brakes (grooved) and ceramic pads but they squeak like hell under softish braking, under hard they are fine. There isn't any warping/cracking or anything though....

Stock seems like a good option though or the aforementioned 3G