The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Crank Pully 15+ Years Checkover!!!

Geo

I thought id create a thread after the Trouble that L33 had with his car, that may have turned out to be a OLD CRANK PULLY!! That Killed the Engine!!!

Guys please check your Pullys, and make sure there upto scratch. If you think in anyway there not, then replace accordingly to your power requirments. Speaking with JamieP this is a must part to be replacing on an Old Car.

who knows a few quid might just save you a dead engine???

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600bhp supra with a 15 year old crank pulley is asking for trouble george, you may get away with it but looking at L33 car its not worth the risk.

Correct dude.

One will be ordered soon as im home. :D

I have seen crank pulleys that look brand new fall apart and pulleys that look knackered can last years longer, it is very hard to check one properly. As JP says there is more to a big build than the shiny interesting parts.

If enough members are really that worried AFR will supply pulleys cheaper than any other source but I will need to order a few, fitting is also possible.

I have seen crank pulleys that look brand new fall apart and pulleys that look knackered can last years longer, it is very hard to check one properly. As JP says there is more to a big build than the shiny interesting parts.

If enough members are really that worried AFR will supply pulleys cheaper than any other source but I will need to order a few, fitting is also possible.

how much you reckon bud???

Id be interested in getting one soon, as im adding more parts soon for mapping, and i want to know that she'l last until suprapod is over. :D Then i can break her

how much you reckon bud???

Id be interested in getting one soon, as im adding more parts soon for mapping, and i want to know that she'l last until suprapod is over. :D Then i can break her

I can pretty much gurauntee we can beat any price on stock Toyota parts but there is sometimes a wait for the parts. If there is enough interest I will get a price, would it not be worth seeing if a group buy could be done on a decent front pulley like a fluidamper or something?????

Assuming it was on the car from new, (most likely going by its condition). Mine failed at 130000miles/15 years.

I got lucky, I was driving around for a week with strange noises not knowing what it was. As i needed the car i drove it until the weekend, and then when taking it apart the outer ring just came off in my hand.

I can see how they can cause damage. They weigh quite abit, then times that by a few 1000rpm. Disaster.

I cant see that the power level of the car makes any odds,I had one fall off around 10 years old at idle at a set of traffic lights -luckily no damage

Its just a weak spot and part of having an old car

Ive had nearly 50 year old Jags and the dampers never failed but the supra is prone to it ,you either change it or "do you feel lucky" in a Clint Eastwood style

I cant see that the power level of the car makes any odds,I had one fall off around 10 years old at idle at a set of traffic lights -luckily no damage

Its just a weak spot and part of having an old car

Ive had nearly 50 year old Jags and the dampers never failed but the supra is prone to it ,you either change it or "do you feel lucky" in a Clint Eastwood style

How did you find 50 jags a year old adam???:taped:

Put a line through it, top to bottom over the central part - if it ever moves/slips so the line is not straight - replace it asap.

Or replace it as you do the timing belt, as some garages use heat and put the old one back on, and then you have a ticking timebomb.