The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Redone my coilpack connectors

jevansio

Numerous times in the past I have suffered from missfires. Everytime it was fixed by following Ian C's guide to refurbing them. I purchsed new connector bits, but never replaced the pins that went inside the connector, the bit that was actually causing the issue.

I eventually got sick of doing this & thought I'd try another approach.

So I got some mini spade connectors, cut off the old connector, and crimped these on.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110639&stc=1&d=1274509857

attachment.php?attachmentid=110640&stc=1&d=1274509857

Initially everything was great. But a missfire soon returned. It was my fault, my crimping skills weren't too great, and the connections were a bit dodgy. Also some of the spade connectors needed nipping up so they were a tight push fit.

I've had an idea of using a traxxas style connector which I used on my remote control car, but it would need solering on. They are awesome & have large gold plated terminals which are held solidly together by the plug housing.

So I soldered & heatshrunk connections straight onto the coilpack.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110641&stc=1&d=1274509857

attachment.php?attachmentid=110642&stc=1&d=1274509857

Tin the end of the traxxas terminals & solder the wires on

attachment.php?attachmentid=110643&stc=1&d=1274509857

attachment.php?attachmentid=110644&stc=1&d=1274509857

Then snap the terminals into the plug. This is the male coilpack side finished.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110645&stc=1&d=1274509857

Now just the female side to soler upto the cars loom & job sorted.

attachment.php?attachmentid=110646&stc=1&d=1274509857

One thing I wanted to ask you guys is, will the solder hold upto under hood temps?

I plan on leaving the one for a couple of week to ensure everything is OK, if not it's not too dificult to return to stock, but I'm hoping this is the end with messing on resetting the stock connectors

IMG_5340.jpg

IMG_5341.jpg

IMG_5342.jpg

IMG_5343.jpg

IMG_5345.jpg

IMG_5346.jpg

IMG_5347.jpg

IMG_5348.jpg

Cheers guys.

I did think of that Dude, but I figured I'd just be in the same position once the terminals went the way the current ones did. The only reason the OEM connectors work is due to that bent bit inside the female end and once that has moved away from the male pin there is nothing to push it back, this was hopefully a solution that would never need revisiting again :)

On a side note have any of you pushed the oem female pin onto the coilpack while it is out of the connector? I couldn't believe how "slackly" it went on.

How many of you guys need to continuously revisit your connectors? I assumed it was quite a common problem with there being a FAQ, can't believe noone has gotten sick of this before me?

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Good work mate :) But are you sure its your connectors and not a coil or plug?

Absoluetly, plug changes do not help & there is no correlation between changing them & the problem going. Same with coilpacks, the only time the problem goes is when I tweak the connectors.

I had the same issue, missfire got so bad I actually changed a set of plugs at a petrol station, at night under the light of the price sign in the rain, 2 mins down the road and it was doing the same thing. Ryan came over a few days later, 5 mins under the bonnet fiddling with the connectors and job done.

Nice work matey, they are a real PITA.

Its OK , but ... heat , moisture and vibration are the enemy of wiring , covering in heat shirink will always help here ,the connector used doesnt look a proper enviromental one ,and the loom needs fastening at equally spaced points the more the better

Having seen a number of Supras ,mostly modified , the wiring on some big buck project cars has been ,well lets say poor at best ..

The cables in the Supra are now getting old and insulation resistance and condition deteriorates ,especially if the looms have been disturbed

If there was enough interest in specific looms or looms for common installs I would make these for people

Car cable is cheap and poor quality ,there are far better cables available ; lighter,stronger,better insulation and current carrying capacity despite being thinner cables, with far higher tolerance to heat ,(even fires) and moisture

using these cables and proper enviromental splices and connectors, looms would outlast the car !! -No failures and far better for high temps or race use

If there were a call for it I would gladly make and design looms for any purpose -I can get lengths and runs off my own car and have access to very good connectors

Its OK , but ... heat , moisture and vibration are the enemy of wiring , covering in heat shirink will always help here ,the connector used doesnt look a proper enviromental one ,and the loom needs fastening at equally spaced points the more the better

Having seen a number of Supras ,mostly modified , the wiring on some big buck project cars has been ,well lets say poor at best ..

The cables in the Supra are now getting old and insulation resistance and condition deteriorates ,especially if the looms have been disturbed

If there was enough interest in specific looms or looms for common installs I would make these for people

Car cable is cheap and poor quality ,there are far better cables available ; lighter,stronger,better insulation and current carrying capacity despite being thinner cables, with far higher tolerance to heat ,(even fires) and moisture

using these cables and proper enviromental splices and connectors, looms would outlast the car !! -No failures and far better for high temps or race use

If there were a call for it I would gladly make and design looms for any purpose -I can get lengths and runs off my own car and have access to very good connectors

Post some pics of what you are talking about with some rough prices as you may find some interest on here ;)