The mkiv Supra Owners Club

brakes , good and bad news :D

supra steveo

well ive been playing with my car again

the good news is ive got new pads and discs all round

the bads news is ive done something to my rear hand brake when i was taking the disc off and now one of the clips hits the back of the wheel studs on the hub what the hell have i done ?

before.jpg

after.jpg

spring right.jpg

spring wrong.jpg

Nothing wrong with leathering the living daylights out of an old disc ;)

As for why the clips hitting the stud I can't help you but for taking rear discs off, as far as I can tell, they are a similar design to my Vectra's rear discs in that the handbrake is inside the rear disc? If so, then usually you have to turn a cog or similar through one of the excess holes in the disc which slackens the shoes off inside so they stop gripping the disc (and of course, handbrake needs to be off).

However, as I have never worked on a Supra before, I can't be dead sure but that is the usual way. (Oh, and whacking it one with as heavy a hammer as you can find ;) )

as far as I can tell, they are a similar design to my Vectra's rear discs in that the handbrake is inside the rear disc? If so, then usually you have to turn a cog or similar through one of the excess holes in the disc which slackens the shoes off inside so they stop gripping the disc

doh and yeah it was a canny big hammer :D smashed part of the disc

You have to slacken off the handbrake through the hole in the disc when the hole's at the bottom. Then you need two bolts to put through the other two holes to lever the disc off.

Hopefully the attached pic will help you get the handbrake sorted. Let's hope nothing's broken.

You can see in the third pic you uploaded how the spring/clip/pin should sit.

spring%20wrong.jpg

Whined?

This is an EPC diagram of the handbrake mechanism. http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=548183&postcount=2

The adjuster is at the bottom centre of the pic labelled 47405A and 47406A. You spin the middle of it round to wind in/out the shoes. Make sure you have spring 46550E as I can't see it in your pics, then again I can't see your adjuster either. Not sure if it's just the angle of the pic.

You shouldn't have to belt the disc off as you'll bend the pins, as you've found out.

When you come to re-fitting the disc, spin the little spindle that's at the 6 oclock position to pull the handbrake shoes in a little bit. Then fit the disc.

You then need to spin the spindle the opposite direction to before to push the shoes back out untill they touch the disc. To do this, spin the disc around until one of the holes lined up with where the spindle is (In your first pic, it's the one with the rubber bung in) You should then be able to reach in with a flat bladed screwdriver and turn the spindle. Do a click on the spindle and then try spinning the disc - it'll be loose and then it'll bind up completely.

Once you've got the disc locked up, unwind the spindle 8 clicks so it doesn't bind up as you're driving.

Job done.

job done :D wow that clip and spring are a right pain in the arse well its done now, cheers to all for your input i needed it

just one thing tho the little thing at the 6 o`clock position didnt make and clicking noises when whineding back the shoes, how do i reset the hand brake once wound back ?