The mkiv Supra Owners Club

opinions on matte black Supras

ritter1

Hey guys, just wondering what your opinions of matte black Supras are? I know it isn't a guarantee I will be able to get a Supra this year but never too early to start thinking of where it could end up :eyebrows:

As I will probably end up going down the NA route, I might as well make it look as good as possible and there are a few different styles I like. However, I was talking with a friend from uni yesterday (another fellow Supra fan :) ) and we started talking about black Supras. Now, I love gloss black Supras, but if I buy an NA, then I would like something a little different and I have always loved matte black anything hehe, and we started talking about a matte black Supra done in a 'stealth' style.

I did a quick search before and found this picture of, what I think, is a very nice car:

http://img228.imageshack.us/i/p1115766tn7.jpg/

Some things I would change on it however are;

-change those chrome alloys for some matte black alloys, possibly with some red trim/writing, something to accent the matte black

-the 'gloss black' headlights don't match the matte black bodywork, they look good, but I would try for matte black headlights, but maybe a little less opaque

-I think some form of sideskirt or wide arch body kit could give it a few more 'eccentric' lines that would stand out a little more (to make up for the fact the matte black doesn't catch the light)

-and I think the window tinting could be a little less opaque too, however, with the rules on window tinting, it may be better to just leave the windows untinted

So, opinions? Anyone have any great exceptions to the whole matte black look? I would only eventually go down this road if I get a black Supra and the bodywork isn't fantastic. If it needs bodywork doing and I have the money at any point, I would go down this route, but any other colour, I would have other plans for it.

Oh, and I think that front bumper is amazing ;)

Not favourable then?

It is one of those marmite looks I think. Oh and please don't think I am into chavvy kits etc because I mentioned wide arch kits, I just think a car in matte black needs something to highlight it's lines.

Oh, and fashions come around! The 80's are back people ;)

Do what you fancy mate, everyone is never going to agree on one car. I'm into kits and big wheels, others like the oem look.

I actually quite like that matte black one. I have never seen one before. I saw a matte black lambo lp640 a couple of days ago and it looked outstanding.

Instead of getting it painted matte black, think about getting a matte wrap, provided you start with a black car, it could be cool

good luck

I think matte black cars look great, but at the same time, I wouldn't do such a thing to a black car that's in great condition as it is. I cannot bear to change a car that is in great condition already by such a large amount, I have to respect what others have done with it in the past and if after so many years of use, it is in great condition, you know alot of pride has gone into their ownership.

hmmm...think the matte black thing has been done and been killed....maybe try something different like a matte purple, cadbury purple style.. yum! loving the stealth look though!

btw, should i slap myself for loving that rx7?? looks sexy

I agree, the wheels let it down, should be black or dark grey.

Amar, you should definitely not slap yourself for loving that rx7, great cars, just have a built in expiry date of 100k miles...

A stealth purple Supra? hmm..... maybe something for photoshopping tomorrow to have a quick look, you never know, might actually look fantastic and begin it's own craze ;)

I think it would look fine with stock lights, but I think dark rear lights would look awesome on the Supra's rear end ;)

I saw a picture today of a Ferrari 599 sprayed matte black stealth style and it looked amazing, the rear lights were shaded too so finished the look well.

Good point Amar, but you can get matte clear coat can't you. My Vectra is silver, and for repairing some surface rust, I had to buy the clear coat, which is gloss clearcoat, so I would guess it comes as matte too? If it did then wouldn't it have the same smooth feeling of gloss clearcoat so wouldn't streak as you might expect? Just a thought...

Colour is always a very subjective topic :-) a guy on the Aussie forums has been doing a terrific job of a DIY paint project:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~garbutt/supra/2010/Paint/P1050784.JPG

http://members.iinet.net.au/~garbutt/supra/2010/Paint/P1050786.JPG

http://members.iinet.net.au/~garbutt/supra/2010/Paint/P1050792.JPG

http://members.iinet.net.au/~garbutt/supra/2010/Paint/P1050796.JPG

Then you have some of the guys from the US taking it to the extreme: