The mkiv Supra Owners Club

V160 Gear Oil & Differential Oil...? Supraforums discussion

Brazil

I'm fixing to change my clutch there for I have been searching for which gear oil to use. I've read on here that I should use Toyota's V160 Oil which is difficult to purchase, expensive and not necessary compared to other brands.

On the process of searching this topic I've found this interesting Thread..!

From the information given which appears to be backed up with a lot of facts is that there are lots of good gear oils out there that will do the same job or even better.

Like Royal Purple,Dexron III ATF, Mobil 1 ATF

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=478147&page=2

A quote from the thread below,

Just to add a little fuel to the fire - I'm the one who got Getrag to tell me why Red Line D-4 ATF is no good for the V-160 (actually the Getrag 233).

Our German friend here is right on the money - too much seal swell make the DU bushing in the centering piston too tight so the stick won't center when it's cold (after running D-4 for about 2 years or so). D-4 is a superlight ATF (viscosity 7) and needs a lot of seal swell so it doesn't leak out of the seals as fast as you pour it in. Note: side benefit - the shift shaft seals actually work and the gearbox quits leaking fluid from the shiftshaft with D-4 and a single seal - double seals also stops this without D-4).

I rebuilt my Getrag in 2004 and I've been running Mobil 1 ATF in it ever since. It works perfectly. I'm sure Royal Purple's Synchromax also works just fine.

Anyone claiming a Dexron III ATF will cause harm to the Getrag 233 is foolish at best. So is spending what Toyco wants for V-160 oil because it's just Dexron II. Here's what it looks like inside:

Anothe Quote:

Getrag and Toyuota specified two oils for the V160: V160 from Toyota at $45/liter and Esso D21065 Dexron II at about $2.95/liter. In engineering qualification testing I doubt that Getrag actually qualified more than one oil and suspect that the V160 is simply the Esso D21065 repackaged. Esso is the overseas name for ExxonMobil. I wouldn't swear it is the same but I seriously doubt that Toyota or any oil company would be producing a special production run of oil for a few thousand vehicles that change the tranny oil on average every 30-50K miles. Only about 4000 6 speeds were produced for North America from 1993-1998 so assumming a tranny oil change ever couple of years thats 4000 liters/year, (1056 gallons or 20 barrels). No oil company is going to do a special production run for 20 barrels a year.

What are your opinions...?:sly:

that change the tranny oil on average every 30-50K miles.

What are your opinions...?:sly:

my opinion is this...........it's probably fine to use an alternative and i'm possibly paying over the odds for an oil when I could just use a cheaper substitute.......however given that we all will happily do 6-10 engine oil changes in the interval suggested above for a transmission oil change at up to £30-50 a go then i'm quite happy paying the extra for the V160 every couple of years even if it does make bugger all difference :)