The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who has an EGT sensor that has taken out a turbo..

jackso11

I think Foodfreak had his EGT probe fail and make its way in a disorderly fashion through his turbo. It does happen, anything that sits in 900degree heat is going to be prone to failure.

One viewpoint is that it is cheaper to lose a turbo than a whole engine, the other viewpoint is that if you can subtract 150degrees from whatever reading you get then you would PROBABLY be safe.

More accurate readings pre-turbo, no chance of it going through the turbo if post turbo, but more chance of the engine going down due to det.

JB's right........ I had a greddy probe break up, took out my 1st turbo when I was on twins.

I know that Leon & Terry Saunders both had probes break & bugger the turbo. all probes were situated in the runners.

I haven't bothered with an egt since

My sesnor is in the turbo exh housing, I see temps of 925-950. I'm told that the temps in the housing are hotter in the runner even though it is farther from the engine (due to the extra heat generated from 6 flows merging and a continuous flow rather than an interrupted single flow in one of the runners), don't know how much truth there is in that & I'd only find out if I moved a probe into a runner to know for sure.

I used to have my probe in the downpipe & saw a +200 deg change when I moved it into the housing

i've had my probe mounted on exhaust manifold for 5 years - 3 years on stock manifold, 2 years on the current cast manifold. No problems here :D

Whereabouts in the manifold? I heard 1st runner is the easiest place to put it as you can reach it from the top without much bother?

My probe was in runner one for 6+years it is now in runner 6 1 year. I rarely see EGT's above high 800's. My take same as John's, I would rather protect my engine than my turbo.

I remember having nagging doubts about fitting it to runner one when first fitted, but after a while, I realised the possibility of it causing damage was very slight. Unless you are seeing 900+ degree on a very regular basis I would not worry about it. When you consider all the things that could go wrong, in a high performance motor, it puts it into perspective.

I think the perception that EGT's fail regularly is completely wrong, given the number in use, the % failure rate is very low. When one does go, who knows if the probe was at fault, there are many other factors that could have caused it, no one has the time, money or facilities to establish the true cause, at best all blame is conjecture.

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I used to have a GReddy one in the front runner, installed by CW himself :) When going from twins to big single, I decided to hedge my bets and put it in the tubular manifold's collector, biased towards the wastegate pipe. So I get the pre-turbo temperature reading, but if it fractures chances are it's exiting through the wastegate and doing no damage. It's been there for years but then I don't drive it much these days.

Don't really see past 850deg on full chat, for what its worth.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, I'm a Lincolnshire lad mate, further north than you! only down here for the city life. :)

I know its not that far but with the price of petrol these days its pretty expensive to drive up to you just to get an EGT probe fitted. Maybe I can think of some other things you could do at the same time. haha

You can buy 3mm Inconel 600 K types for about £15 each. I built a 8 channel reader logger for an MR2 chap using my own EGT amps. He used Race Tech ones which I think are £25 with the gland but I have a feeling they are stainless steel.

You can use SS if it's just for short duration dyno work, but like Chris says, Inconel is best for long duration use.

http://www.tcdirect.co.uk/deptprod.asp?deptid=190/1#0

150mm is a bit long but you want the tip in the centre of the pipe so not to much sticks out and they can be bend in a quite tight radius.

Haha, I'm a Lincolnshire lad mate, further north than you! only down here for the city life. :)

I know its not that far but with the price of petrol these days its pretty expensive to drive up to you just to get an EGT probe fitted. Maybe I can think of some other things you could do at the same time. haha

LOL! just wait until he tell you how much to get the sensor fitted:p

Why not ask AFR to do it, only 60-70 mls away.