The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing UK Front Discs

optim8

I bought some replacement UK discs last week and looking to fit them.

Got the wheels off last night and the discs seem fairly free so should come off pretty easy. My pads are fine as only fitted them about 300 miles ago, so can I simply undo the caliper retaining bolts pull them off to one side and swap the disc overs?

Will the caliper pistons start moving once free from the existing disc?

Do the caliper retaining bolts need to be torqued up or just tight?

Appologies if I'm asking stupid questions in here!!! :)

Its best to ease the pads and pistons back a little bit then they should slide over the new discs easily, the pistons wont move unless you press the brake pedal so no problems there.

Tight should be good enough but its always better to torque bolts to the correct ftlbs if you have a torque wrench

Look in the service specification section on the WSM for torque settings

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

The caliper bolts can be tight so be prepared to use a wrench with plenty of leverage.

The pistons could slide back easily or they could be tight aswell, sometimes I use a block of wood and a crowbar to lever them back into the caliper or a G clamp. Careful that you don't damage the piston seals when doing this.

You'll find it easier to unbolt and remove the caliper, remove the brake disc and then fit the caliper back in place temporarily with the bolts so it's held steady to make it easier to push the pistons back in.

Sometimes the brake disc rusts onto the hub making it difficult to remove, on some discs there'll be a couple of threaded holes which you can fit in a couple of bolts (M8 AFAIR ), tighten them evenly and they'll push the disc from the hub.

The caliper bolts can be tight so be prepared to use a wrench with plenty of leverage.

The pistons could slide back easily or they could be tight aswell, sometimes I use a block of wood and a crowbar to lever them back into the caliper or a G clamp. Careful that you don't damage the piston seals when doing this.

You'll find it easier to unbolt and remove the caliper, remove the brake disc and then fit the caliper back in place temporarily with the bolts so it's held steady to make it easier to push the pistons back in.

Sometimes the brake disc rusts onto the hub making it difficult to remove, on some discs there'll be a couple of threaded holes which you can fit in a couple of bolts (M8 AFAIR ), tighten them evenly and they'll push the disc from the hub.

Great thanks all for the info. Did try to move the move the nuts tonight with no joy :(. I was using the wheel nut wrench as well seeing as it was 17mm. Very very tight in there. My mates got a air gun on his van so might see if I can get him to pop over at some point!! Both disc are moveable so no worries there, just need to get the caliper nut shifting!!