The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Would I regret buying an auto?

Guest muttleyturbo

Guest muttleyturbo

Pretty much I've been on the look out for an N/A manual (5 speed) and my budget is around ~£3000.

I keep on seeing nice auto's for this much but not as many manuals (did see a nice black manual but had an exam and when I came back it had sold :()

I was dead set on having a manual but finding it hard to find one. Anyone else end up buying an auto after being set in a manual? If so, regrets?

I spent ages looking for a UK manual, drove one and was underwhelmed, tried a few autos and was highly impressed - never regretted it once during my period of ownership, it's an amazing gearbox that still lets you shift yourself if fancy some exercise :)

No, you wouldnt....

I was similar to you, really wanted the perfect 6 speed TT they where silly money and stupidly rare when i was looking so i came across a few TT auto's and having never driven an auto before really blew me away how good it was.

just because its an auto doesnt mean you lose any drivability IMHO.

good luck with the search buddy

You should try an auto out, they are very smooth and responsive. I agree with Michael.

Obviously not going to be everyones cup of tea but well worth having a drive of one, especially good choice if you live in an area with alot of traffic.

Guest scatrat

Auto is great had mine since 1997, few mild mods etc, roars forever, till head warped,

mines been off road since 02, should be back out soom when got a new head,

go for it,

jj

Possibly a stupid question but when on the motorway in an auto as there are only 4 gears aren't the revs going to be very high?

No mate, it is a 4 speed box but the ratio's are completely different to a 6 speed manual, you will get a similar...ish top speed out of both the manual and auto.

95 mph sits around 4k on mine with OD on on a motorway... doesnt break a sweat

I thought the ratios would be different but cool, 4k isn't bad at all.

I want a 6 spd TT and don't think I'd be happy settling for an auto as I've been set on not getting an auto but we shall see :)

I thought the ratios would be different but cool, 4k isn't bad at all.

I want a 6 spd TT and don't think I'd be happy settling for an auto as I've been set on not getting an auto but we shall see :)

As said try one out. After having/owning numerous perfomance cars in the past my Supra is by far the best, and yes its auto:d

Guest muttleyturbo

Seeing such great feedback on the auto this has started to change my mind.

Has anyone here previously driven manual cars and can happily say that the auto supra box is just as fun / as good?

Also what kind of power can the auto box handle on a N/A as I plan to do a single turbo conversion in the future.

thanks

Seeing such great feedback on the auto this has started to change my mind.

Has anyone here previously driven manual cars and can happily say that the auto supra box is just as fun / as good?

Also what kind of power can the auto box handle on a N/A as I plan to do a single turbo conversion in the future.

thanks

I'm no expert on this but most people wil tell you to go single you'll need a TT lump first off all to handle the extra power of a single

Personal choice but i am selling my TT auto as i just want a manual one had a GT4 celica manual and i miss the fun of being able to redline the car through the gears + the manual box can handle more power that the stock one i was told about 550 but don't hold me to that fig

I've had an N/A 5 speed and currently have a TT 6 speed, I have also driven Autos and my personal view is go for the manual as I live in the sticks and only have the car as a weekend car, so like a lot of involvement for the twisties, however, if I lived in the city and/or used the car everday I would opt for the auto, mainly for the ease of use and more civilized sat in traffic aswell.

If I'm reading this correctly you have a budget of 3K and are considering an auto N/A to later convert to single turbo? N/A auto boxes have less torque capacity than TT auto boxes and are a poor choice to put turbo torque through. In my opinion it's total madness not to save another five hundred quid and just buy a tidy TT auto....

If I'm reading this correctly you have a budget of 3K and are considering an auto N/A to later convert to single turbo? N/A auto boxes have less torque capacity than TT auto boxes and are a poor choice to put turbo torque through. In my opinion it's total madness not to save another five hundred quid and just buy a tidy TT auto....

I think your being a little optimistic with that Chris...." a tidy one for £3500?....maybe a tatty one for £3500, but more like £4500 for a tatty one.