The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra Power output?

Guest GSB

Just out of interest guys how much power would a supra need to be making to consider it powerful??

As seen a few around but what would you guys consider powerful??:)

I thought about this.

Since deciding to get one I've noticed loads around (as is always the case with new cars). I seem to be deciding what's worthy of a race as well, and other Supras are a grey area, are they tt for a start? What mods? If it's a standard exhaust is it likely to all be standard? Would I risk it if mine's pretty basic? (probably!)

Interesting question. "Powerful" is one of those relative words, isn't it? I don't think it has any definite cut-off point, it's more a question of "more powerful" or "less powerful", or in the case of most people bitten by the modding bug, "not quite powerful enough"...

For example, any Supra would be very powerful compared to a Vauxhall Corsa :)

The median engine size in the UK is apparently 2.0 litres. An engine of this capacity will typically produce around 130bhp. So you could also say that all Supras are very powerful compared to the average car in the UK.

If you are talking about differences between Supras, then you would probably take the unmodified twin turbo as your benchmark, at around 320-330bhp. The common mods give around an extra 100bhp beyond that, which is pretty damn powerful in my book, but might not be in yours.

It's all down to the individual interpretation of "powerful", I would say.

I would say each car group have their mark as powerful for example a skyline over 500bhp would be considered powerful whereas a skyline making 400bhp would be ok??

Also i am a rx7 owner in our case anything over 400bhp is very powerful and 300-350bhp is the norm:cool:

So would you say a supra making 400+bhp is considered powerful by your standards???

The reason i ask is a while back while searching for a good rx7 i was offered a 520bhp supra from the east but didn't know if that was "powerful" as far as supras go.... so declined the offer (it was red too) so now have a 460bhp rx7:nana:

Originally posted by Darren

I think 520bhp is a powerful Sup! If it really was 520bhp that is!:sly:

And is that 520 at the wheels or at the crank.......??? that could make a huge difference.....

I would agree any Supe running 500+ is probably slightly above the norm.....

The car in question was not bought in the uk in the end but not really an issue as to how much power it was making just a question as to is that powerful in supra terms?

As i've never driven / been in a supra i wouldn't know how they drive or behave, the best driving experience in my opinion at the mo is the Rx7 as they are amazing to drive.

Originally posted by Ashley Willis

Your right you obviously havent driven a Supra yet :p :D

If you haven't driven a rx7 then its mutual no???

Originally posted by GSB

If you haven't driven a rx7 then its mutual no???

But I have..........Easy now, I was just making a joke. ;) :innocent:

EDITED TO SAY: I wasnt implying the RX7 is crap or anything, just making a joke about your point being that in your opinion the RX7 is the best car, without haven driven a Supra.

/I'll get me coat :stupid:

Nah its cool no offence intended chap:thumbs:

Not really got close to driving a supra yet, i might actually enjoy it as they're rear wheel drive right? in which case similar to the rx just heavier me thinks?:sly:

Maybe someday but not in the near future i've got my eye on a 1967 Mustang:innocent: ...................maybe

Originally posted by GSB

Nah its cool no offence intended chap:thumbs:

Not really got close to driving a supra yet, i might actually enjoy it as they're rear wheel drive right? in which case similar to the rx just heavier me thinks?:sly:

Maybe someday but not in the near future i've got my eye on a 1967 Mustang:innocent: ...................maybe

No worries mate, obviously just me reading it in the wrong context, bloody damn internet.... ;)

I drove a rx7, the R1 enfini. it was standard i think about 280/300

ish bhp and i really enjoyed it. i was going to buy it but was bet to it.

The driving position was a little cramped for me but i didn't care.

460 bhp in one of those must take some driving! i bet you travel everywhere crab style! ( sideways ):)

I looked at buying an RX7 with 450BHP and a massive single turbo. It was impossible to drive around the town though. The fuelling low down was awful, the clutch was really stiff and the car had no power under about 4,000 RPM.

Feck me did it go when the turbo kicked in though. Modding all of these beast yourself is the best way to go as you get an end product that your happy with and has the power/feel that you are after.

:)

Yea driving slow isn't fun in a RX as they want to go quicker, but i run it on low boost where it makes 342bhp (dyno day) so still more than enough:p