The mkiv Supra Owners Club

5 or 6 speed Manual box costs ?

Guest moff

Guest moff

Hi Guys,

I've had a look about, and can't find any recent threads.

I'm just wondering how much a 5 speed or preferably a 6 speed manual box without bell housing might go for ?

Moff

W58's are getting harder to find as both Dr Jekyll and i know ;)

W58 - £250 - £350 (depending on how lucky you are)

R154 - £500 - £600+ last time i looked

V160/V161 - Around £1500 for the box only (that's if you can find one as most people sell them as an auto to manual conversion for around (£2500)

Guest moff

Thanks Chaps.

What are the differences between the 3 boxes ?

Can I find out about the ratios of them anywhere ?

Are any of them 6 speed ?

I am looking for the getrag one, as I am planning on fitting it to my R33 skyline, which will need R34 bell housing.

It seems my standard box keeps breaking 3rd gear with 600 ponies :D

Nope, you could include the v161 but aren't they like rocking horse poo?

Most of the ones Jurgen has been selling seem to be v161. (I've got one on the way (can't wait!) :D)

After trawling through numerous threads on supraforums it seems the v160 had two casings (an old one and an updated one with a beefier center section). All of the V161's came with the newer casing and also the newer type synchro gears. It's argued that the casing isn't important but toyota/getrag put money & time into updating it so there must have been some reason.

Also, the V161 is more likely to be lower milage due to being newer.

hth :)

one of the supraforums threads - http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570111

the w58 is good upto 450 bhp ish if your lucky and dont plan on too many race launches and flat shifts.

the r154 i belive to be good for 700bhp and are verry strong

the gatrag v 160/161 have been run reliably on 1000+ cars so i have been told.

but im sure all of the above will be largly down to how much torque you have and youre torque curve .

if you have 600bhp dont even bother with the w58. the 154 is a great box but due to the increased demand and the fact that they are most drifters box of choice they are hard to find and fetch good money.

the 6 speed getrags are also not the easyest to source but are expensive. if you want reliable power handling from your tranny, worth every penny.