The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diffs on a Jspec???

Geo

Just been speaking to Ian, as he was telling me what he's done with my car today.

Turns out iv no LSD. Now i thought mine would have came with this or am i wrong? Looks like iv got a free diff.

thoughts guys?

Ian just told me when he turns the rear wheel the other one goes the opposite way. he's sending over a pic just now so i'll post it once iv got it. Can you tell what dif it is by the casing?? i though it was just the internals that were different

Its never been replaced by me, maybe when Jurgen brught the car over.

I've had this convo on here before mate, it doesn't matter if the wheels turn the opposite way, i checked mine by doing a very tame standing burnout! it left 2 black lines! :D

Another way is to jack one rear wheel up and try and drive you car! If the car doesn't move, it has an open diff as you'll find the jack up wheel is spinning on its own, if the car feels like its trying to move then it has lsd! :D Just be careful when doing this :)

All those pics tell you is it's the small casing diff. (Edit, think I'm wrong saying this, see below) As others have said the only certain way to know if it's LSD is to open it up.

The other method is to get a good rolling burnout going and see if you get a || on the road :D It's not conclusive though, but should give an idea if you have someone stood close by to see if both wheels are spinning from the outset.

What is the diff code on the VIN plate?

Looks to me like the big diff. Sits quite far to the left and the fins along the back plate are tell-tale if you look at the diff link a few posts up. The smaller diff has uniform fins whereas the large diff has 3 that stick out further with 2 more recessed ones to the right.

All those pics tell you is it's the small casing diff. As others have said the only certain way to know if it's LSD is to open it up.

The other method is to get a good rolling burnout going and see if you get a || on the road :D It's not conclusive though, but should give an idea if you have someone stood close by to see if both wheels are spinning from the outset.

What is the diff code on the VIN plate?

is it B03B?? next to the V160 gearbox

Not yet mate, just checked

Fans were picked up today and cams are in car

ok cool

Is your car faclift George?

No mate, defo not.

Had a bit of a search again and I think TTRickeh is right, the flange that's just about shown on one of the pics would not be there on the small casing.

B03B is the code for the big pre-facelift 6spd diff (the "seriously strong" one)

Does the back of the diff look like this (i.e. massive cooling plate): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=56034&d=1177147330

Had a bit of a search again and I think TTRickeh is right, the flange that's just about shown on one of the pics would not be there on the small casing.

B03B is the code for the big pre-facelift 6spd diff (the "seriously strong" one)

Does the back of the diff look like this (i.e. massive cooling plate): http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=56034&d=1177147330

Yes bud, defo looks like that. :D

There you go mate, it's a Torsen LSD :) Your mate obviously doesn't know the Supra diffs are torque sensing

cool mate, result. i'll inform him tomorrow about it, as he was asking about replies to the thread. and if he was right or wrong?

cheers for the help guys :D

I can catagorically tell you it has an LSD bud. The 11's I left off the lights at xscape told me so. When the back end let slip it was very smooth too, not sure if a non-LSD would feel so nice with the bum wiggling.

Of course that was after I stalled it for the 14th time :D

To my understanding the UK/EU spec has a torsen LSD and the J-spec has a "normal" LSD. Am I correct?

Does anyone know what kind of "normal" LSD the j-spec has?

I'm a bit confused from this description on the possible designations on the VIN plate (taken from the NZ mkiv page):

Differential Types: A (Standard open differential), B (Torsen LSD), D (Torsen LSD)