The mkiv Supra Owners Club

UK brake upgrade (or not) -> which ones ?

Kaamos

Hi all,

I'm about to change my front discs + pads (stock UK tt / 19" alloys).

Of course I could go for oem part but maybe I could take advantage of having to change them anyway and improve the result.....

so any advices welcome, knowing that I'm gonna stick with the rear stock brakes for a while as there is still much meat on them so I don't know if there are some balance issues and so on....

sorry if this has been asked already, then I missed the related post....

For rd use ive never had a problem with o/e pads and discs, even under serious heavy braking, there also sensibly priced too at approx £70 each disc and the pads for both calipers are approx £55 so great value in my opinion

What about changing to big brakes such as K-Sport 356mm 8-pots? They should fit nicely under your 19"''s. Huge stopping power.

Stopping power is limited by the friction your tyres have with the surface your driving on, no matter how big the brakes are ;)

No better than a good UK setup.

Scott - could you post up the dimensions for the KSport parts that you used to get to this please (piston sizes and pad heights)..I'm doing some brake kit comparisons and I don't have anything for KSport.

Cheers

Dan

Scott - could you post up the dimensions for the KSport parts that you used to get to this please (piston sizes and pad heights)..I'm doing some brake kit comparisons and I don't have anything for KSport.

Cheers

Dan

As was mentioned above your post, this is how I got to this. With better discs and better pads the k sports would be better for more continous braking but by then you would be better with AP's. Stopping power UK's will lock up the brakes as well as any other manufacturer.

Stopping power is limited by the friction your tyres have with the surface your driving on, no matter how big the brakes are ;)

Thanks for all these hints !

---> DnK, are you sure about your figures ? I got a 450€ quote from Mr T for a pair of front oem discs WITHOUT taxes...... or maybe it's just my local dealer who is high on something strong ?

A friend of mine also told me about Dixcel brakes http://www.dixcel.co.jp/en/

does anyone have a feedback on them ?

At least the "literature" part of their website appears to be rather informative......

Thanks for all these hints !

---> DnK, are you sure about your figures ? I got a 450€ quote from Mr T for a pair of front oem discs WITHOUT taxes...... or maybe it's just my local dealer who is high on something strong ?

I've just checked with my supplier (Steve Manley at Inchcape Toyota Oxford) and without any discount but inc vat at 17.5% a pair of UK spec front discs are £173.85

A pair of rear discs are £192.84 inc vat

which is £366.09 = 426.455 euro's

I think your dealer is definetly smoking something ilegal

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

apparently yes, but supras are so uncommon here in france that on behalf of a "special order" i also get the according "special price" haha....

*checking out http://www.eurotunnel.com*........

More seriously; I may check with local Mr T if he was not mistaken, MAYBE he gave me a quote for front AND rear discs, but I don't think so.........

450 EURO IS £386 so even for all 4 discs its expensive especially if you've still got to add taxes but if its for just the fronts their taking the mickey.

It would pay you to buy from Steve Manley and ship them over.

Isnt a lot of Toyotas parts held in Belgium ?