The mkiv Supra Owners Club

strut brace

jackso11

A front strut brace won't bring a lot of stability on track.

I have a front strut brace (Cusco), a rear strutbrace and a rear cross bar (both Carbing) fitted to my Supe. The one which brought the best improvement was the rear cross bar from Carbing. I guess the added stability from a front brace is marginal .. there's a little show effect when the hood is popped.

Luc

See i dont agree, when i fitted my suspension on my old car it was all TEIN

I fitted the superstreets first and drove it for a couple of months and got used to it, i then fitted the front brace and noticed that the car felt much sharper on the front end, again i drove for a couple of months and finally fitted the rear IMO it tightnened up the rear too.. That car handled nicely..

IMO they are an improvement.

I fitted TEIN front and rear..

Surprises me hearing rear ones do anything, so much metal round there i cant see them doing anything at the back, ive never noticed my front one to do anything other than look bling tbh.

youve hammerd yours for ages now with the brace you have on the car, maybe you should take it off and see if you can feel a difference

But then by the way/speed you acc past me in the convoy ide be suprised if you can feel anthing, Ide be holding on for dear life..

See i dont agree, when i fitted my suspension on my old car it was all TEIN

I fitted the superstreets first and drove it for a couple of months and got used to it, i then fitted the front brace and noticed that the car felt much sharper on the front end, again i drove for a couple of months and finally fitted the rear IMO it tightnened up the rear too.. That car handled nicely..

IMO they are an improvement.

I fitted TEIN front and rear..

When you fit new suspensions, you normaly do a geo setup too.

This gives the sharper feel on the steering wheel. I really doubt the braces help a lot.

Surprises me hearing rear ones do anything, so much metal round there i cant see them doing anything at the back, ive never noticed my front one to do anything other than look bling tbh.

The Carbing rear brace bolts on the chassis too, not only on the suspension.

I have to admit that the rear and middel (cross) bars gave a nice improvement over bumpy roads .. less chassis twist. That's probably also due to the fact I have an aero top, where the braces can help more than on an hardtop.

youve hammerd yours for ages now with the brace you have on the car, maybe you should take it off and see if you can feel a difference

But then by the way/speed you acc past me in the convoy ide be suprised if you can feel anthing, Ide be holding on for dear life..

I spotted the plate and Gave it a little blast;)

IMO fitting a strut bar altogether is pointless (except for the look), especially a bolted type, a welded type will probly be a lil better at reducing flex but not by much at all. It will still flex with the chassis eitherway as theres just not enough strength in the bar itself to deal with chassis flex.

The only way a strut bar will work properly is if its 4 point mounted to the strut tops and a solid part of the chassis i.e the bulkhead.

Think of it as an ARB.

An ARB is mounted to the suspension with drop links and then bolted to the subframe which is a solid frame hard mounted to the chassis. Take away the subframe mounts and the bar is worthless as it just move with the suspension as its not mounted to a solid part of the car and cannot prevent flex.

Thats as simple as i can explain it.

Edited by Kirk (see edit history)