The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hey guys

ritter1

Hey everyone, joined here the other night after some persuading at the hands of grandiaerbest lol. Basically, im 20, from Liverpool and hoping to get myself my dream car (mk4 supra of course :eyebrows:) come my 21st bday in November.

Gonna be looking at NA autos purely because of age etc for insurance but an NA auto if I stay in Wrexham where im at uni will cost around 1500 per yr so not bad. Just a few questions as in, how quick is the NA auto? I mean really? I mean, I dont wanna be sitting in my dream car all chuffed to be beaten off the line by my mate in his e30 328 convertible lol (id still look way cooler :cool:) Of course, supras are more suited to longer drags but would still be nice to have some grunt off the line lol.

Oh, and I think going straight to a TT would be a bit...interesting shall we say, seeing as im driving a 1.6 vectra B atm :rolleyes:

just wanted to say hi and everything :)

(oh, and im not gonna be boy racing or anything, im not really into the street racing thing, all best kept for when its the right place and time....I am NOT a boy racing chav haha)

just been looking at insurance quotes, for the situation im looking at bieng in, if u get what i mean, an NA auto is 1500 per yr, but a TT auto is only 1700 a yr. Defo worth it in my eyes.

So, how quick are these cars, and does have to be auto I think, unless I get a manual NA and strip it out drag style :D

Welcome m8ee,

Use the search button then ask. makes a good first impression to the peeps who have heard and answered the same question a hundred times b4. Your question is asked on a weekly basis, having only driven a tt auto I only have an opinion on that. Just for info' its the colour that is important here, silver obviously being the quickest, something to do with the drag coefficient of 199 silver. :D

Rob

haha, the search button is overated to say the least, but just so everyone knows, I have used it, and found a few threads saying an NA auto is 0-60 in like 7 seconds, which to be honest, is fairly poor, however, like it matters in a car as purely genius as a supra ;) and of course, as is the way, im sure someone will now tell me an NA auto is capable of 0-60 in like 6secs haha.

and gotta say, i gotta disagree with you on the silver is quickest thing haha, I think blue is a little quicker tbh :p ;) not by much but gotta be haha

The thing is the N/A Supra shows its real power after 60. The thing can carry on like nobodys business and you will tend to kick the ass of other 6 second cars.

The definitive answer to the 0-60 for an N/A is 6.4 seconds. But this all depends on how well you look after and service the car. Not so well maintained Supras will end up in the 7 second bracket.

To be honest, from your previous experience, an N/A is much better suited to you. I've done the same thing and I am glad I chose to get an N/A over a TT first. Without the experience of a RWD, the turbo will bite your ass and you will easily end up in a ditch. Not something you want.

Welcome to the club by the way.

Hey man, really glad you joined up.

And I gotta agree with you on the search button. overrated to say the least :D

haha, the search button is overated to say the least, but just so everyone knows, I have used it, and found a few threads saying an NA auto is 0-60 in like 7 seconds, which to be honest, is fairly poor, however, like it matters in a car as purely genius as a supra ;) and of course, as is the way, im sure someone will now tell me an NA auto is capable of 0-60 in like 6secs haha.

The search button may not be as over-rated as you think...... trust me if you ask the same questions that have been asked 1000 times before you will get told how to use the search button :)

Welcome aboard though.

yep, defo think an NA would be best for me and seeing as im not really into boy racing and it would be driven sensibly anyway, I dont think id need the out and out power of a TT. However, if a TT auto comes up and it doesnt cost too much more, why stick with the NA? just have to be even more careful lol.

I can get some experience of RWD as short goes in my mates 325 help with that but at the same time, still a world of difference from that to a TT

Welcome

1. The search is your friend :)

2. TT's you will wrap, singles wrap even quicker

3. The N/A is your best bet TBH

Oh and did I say welcome :D

Thanks scotty, I really do think I will end up in an NA first, but im not ruling out a TT, I really cant resist the lure of a TT supra, sorry, but you must understand haha. Afterall, I have been stuck with a Vectra since last November... lol

Guest SupraTroopa

I bought a Supra TT at 21 and never looked back. As long as you take it steady and don't go loopy in it and respect the power, you should be ok.

I was going to buy an NA and was getting quotes of £1500ish but then got a classic policy which came to approx. £800. However this year they said they can't reinsure me due to age and am now paying about £900ish with a fully comp policy on Admiral.

Hope this helps

thats the thing, its all about respecting the power. I know im inexperienced to basically everyone here, but at the same time, im not the usual boy racer 21 yr old ragging his hatchback to bits everywhere, in fact, most of the time i think im driving better than 90% of the people on the road around me haha. I really wouldnt be looking at dropping the clutch in it off the line or drag racing etc at all, I mean, the tyres r like £200 each and Im a student haha.

Can you get classic car insurance at 21? I was thinking about it but I was unsure if you could.

I got my TT at 21 as well (or was it 22), but I had an MGZR160 before that and got all the stuff like mates saying "I've heard this thing's a bit quick" and obviously having to show them! :D Also I drove my dads Sierra Saphire quite a bit which gave me a lot of the RWD experience which I very quickly realised I needed in the Supe.

It doesn't matter how much you say you'll respect the power and be a bit more careful in the TT, SOMETHING will happen one day when you just have to give it a go and it will be the wrong place and the wrong time and you wish you had a bit more experience to recover the slide!!! I was very lucky that mine were with no other cars around, I could simply turn the car around and carry on, but I had a good few near misses as well!!

Hi and welcome. :)

I'm in agreement with Trev. You will want to try the power if you get the TT. It is addictive. :D

Therein lies the potential for mishap as has happened to a few members. :(

You need to have a good dollop of self control if you go down the TT road. The car's only as fast as you make it. ;)

Hi there ! Definitely go for the TT mate.

I've bought an NA for the same reason, thinking i need to get used to powerful cars first and the TT isn't for me yet. Got the NA and was amazed how easy to drive and predictable it really is...sadly also noticed that it's not as fast as i would of expected it to be. I've also bought a late facelift model, stunning (inside and out) became so attached to it that i don't want to sell it and get a TT.

Instead, i will go through the hassle of a NA-TT swap. Save yourself from this in the future and get a TT ;)

Yes, I appreciate all of the 'beware' posts and take good notice of them, of course I will one day feel the need for a try of what that throttle pedal can really do, however, I am of the type that alex2jz seems to be, in that I think its sensible to be safe and gently move onto bigger things, however, I almost always look at things in the way he says, If I take the gentle route, I will get bored and end up spending more money than necessary.

As for some fears of my mates syaing to floor it one I can hear some of you thinking haha, they will of course, however, it just wont happen, for a start, i could only get one other person into the car (realistically) and I dont floor any car with some degree of power anywhere other than joining a motorway. Anyway, with most of them used to 1.4 fiestas and 1.4 206's, it wouldnt take anywhere near full throttle to impress them haha.

And as george 1200 says, if the TT isnt much more to insure, come on, who here would get an NA over a TT? Really? haha

question though, that quote on the TT stated the car as an auto turbo 3 door? Whilst there were a number of cars stated as TT but 2 door, which were all over 2k per yr. Any difference? And yes, the cars I got quotes for were '95 and later so defo mk4. Just got me thinking...