The mkiv Supra Owners Club

n00b questions about wheels

Guest shank

Guest shank

hi all

i recently bought a 96 jap import NA supra from a good friend and its immaculate, body work amazing and its totally standard. ive looked about the forums and i was just wondering if anyone would lend some advice regarding wheels.....

ive been thinking of getting a set of lenso kr5's

http://www.caraudioni.com/images/KR5_HS_800x800.jpg

id probably go for 18'' now my problem lies with width and tyres. will it be important to get the rear wheels an inch or so wider than the front? will this make much of an impact driving with it being NA?

also ive seen that the tyres being fit on the front are a different size to the back, as in 40 on the front and 35 on the back, is there any special reason for this?

it sucks being a n00b but i guess thats why these forums are here!!

thanks for your time!

It will look bad with same sized wheels (wheels recessed into the arches) but won't necessarily drive that bad.......

however 8" front and 9" rear are the general minimums banded around here (8.5" and 9.5" - and 8.5(9)" and 10" the other popular staggerings)

The profile change is because of the difference in tyre widths ie they are different to keep the total wheel radius/diameter front and back as close as possible.

Is the car a facelift '96' or pre facelift? bascially do you know if you have the small or large stock brakes?

Guest shank

its the facelift 96 with the 16'' wheels on at the minute, although i don't know if they are big or small brakes! i will go upto the place where im hoping to get the wheels in the next couple of week and see what they can do, but this bit of background will help me out a lot! thanks again!

its the facelift 96 with the 16'' wheels on at the minute, although i don't know if they are big or small brakes! i will go upto the place where im hoping to get the wheels in the next couple of week and see what they can do, but this bit of background will help me out a lot! thanks again!

If it has 16 inch wheels on then you will have the smaller brakes, as the larger brakes don't fit under the stock 16 inch wheels.

The sizes I suggested earlier will still be okay if you go for 18's.