The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My polished rim refurb in stages by hand, pic heavy

DodgyRog

Seen a couple of these threads recently and decided to give mine a go:d

All the pics are of one rim to give a good comparison and I have tried to take them of the same area of the rim.

Okay products used

All Purpose Nitro Mors paint and varnish remover £3.98 from B&Q

Oakey Steel Wool Assorted pack of 3 £1.48 from B&Q (might need to go and get another pack to do all 4 wheels)

Autosol metal polish (already had this)

Meguire's NXT generation All Metal Polysh (already had this)

and a lot of cloths, soapy bucket of water, small paint brush, wheel cleaning brush and a hose.

as the wheel started the day

Started by dabbing on the Nitro Mors carefully, so as not to get any on the spokes. This was done to remove the laquer, rather than sanding it off (I know it's lazy:p)

after a couple of minutes

Then this was washed away

Then the Steel wool and elbow grease

and the wife got hold of the camera:rolleyes:

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

It's a bit worrying when it goes very dull after the Steel wool treatment:blink:

and then the Autosol and then the Meguires to finish it off

un-polished on the left and polished on the right;)

nearly done

will update tomorrow with the finished pics

Sorry the finished pics are a bit late, they are at post 24

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

Alright that :D.... get some sealer on the rim now ;)

Yeah I will be doing that, but this is a bit of a quick going over for Japfest.

I was hoping to have new wheels, but things haven't quite gone to plan quick enough.

I am intending to take these off for the new ones and then give them another go and a good coat of sealant. Then these will be my winter wheels:cool:

bit dodgy using nitromoors.i just sanded mine down with 400 grit wet and dry.try putting autosol on a piece of wet sandpaper for the final finish before polishing use 1500 grit wet n dry you will be amazed at the finish.

see pic

Nice to see I am living up to my name;)

They are already looking very shiney, I have just quit for the night and we now have 2 wheels in the front room

Looks alot better mate, takes quite alot of time and effort but it's more satisfying doing it yourself I find

It's definately satisfying, I will give these 2 a final polish tomorrow and then do the rears. They are nowhere near as bad, so shouldn't take so long

Well done :)

Thank you:cool:

I would use Migliore wheel seal, 22 quid a pot from polished bliss

Overnight parts from Scotland :D

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8702/wheelseal1.th.jpg

Might give them a ring tomorrow and get some of that:)

The wheels look 100 times better mate, good job

Thanks;)

DUDE!!!! WTF THATS AWESOME WORK!!!! my 3 spoke advans have this problem and ive been considering paint spraying the lip, awesome im going to do this:D

Btw, sweet fish tank

I was impressed too:D

The Nitro Mors might have been a bit risky to be honest, but it hasn't caused me any issues and as they are going to end up as my winter wheels, I didn't mind taking the risk:innocent: and it had Nitro in the name, so my N/A must be a bit quicker now;)

The fish tanks bigger than my bath:cool:

This is the step im going to do

sand smooth

auto sol + polish

think that should do it

Yeap, thats the safe route, I am just a lazy git and thought it was worth a try.

It only took 10 minutes to get all the laquer off each wheel:eyebrows: and no physical effort:innocent:

looks good mate

Thanks Darren, just hope I can be ready by Saturday morning, the cars in quite a lot of bits still and needs a wax and polish when it's back in one piece.

Still have not got my rear spoiler back from Knight-Racer, so think I might have to go either spoilerless or my standard spoiler, but it does not cover over the marks made by the Trd:(

Thanks Darren, just hope I can be ready by Saturday morning, the cars in quite a lot of bits still and needs a wax and polish when it's back in one piece.

Still have not got my rear spoiler back from Knight-Racer, so think I might have to go either spoilerless or my standard spoiler, but it does not cover over the marks made by the Trd:(

I'm glad im not the only one worrying about how his car is going to comapre to the rest lol

Just had a message from Knight-Racer and my Carbon side pod is going in the 24 hour post, so fingers crossed that ParcelForce don't do anything stupid, I will have a rear spoiler:D

Thanks to the great service from Knight-Racer, thanks again Albert

I'm glad im not the only one worrying about how his car is going to comapre to the rest lol

Always and I am a bit of a fuss ass for the details, I except as a daily driver I cant keep it spotless and stonechips are expected, but I try my best:cool: