The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I think water is coming up inside my new rear quarter

carl0s

uh oh.

As some of you know I had a new rear quarter fitted recently. It's been pretty rainy today and I'm hearing a lot of outside noises from the n/s rear arch.

I pulled out the polystyrene toolkit and spare wheel etc and there was a bit of water in there. I think the bodyshop has forgotten to put something in.

Here's a picture of my 'good' side arch:

http://www.css-networks.com/arch.jpg

That bit that I've circled is missing inside the other arch, but my exhaust slightly obstructs it, so I'm wondering if it's meant to be there.

Does anybody know if there's meant to be one of these on the passenger side too?

thanks,

Carl

Originally posted by dude

Err no there isnt one on the N/s of the car !!!!!

Dude:flame Dev

mate on my car it too dark to look but i had a feel and both sides go in the same amount, does that mean im missing one then?!?!?

sorry carlos, i went out and felt under tharch and both the same distance so thought both had one :baa:

looks like i may be missing one now!

**added** is it important and what it do??

The water could also be coming in thro the rear 1/4 window...... they're bonded in. If there isn't sufficient sealant you'll get water in.

My old soop had this problem after a respray where the 1/4 lights were replaced

Get the hose pipe out to check!

Originally posted by dude

Never seen another sup with one either side , your prob could be a seal between inner and outer wheel arches allowing water in !!!

Pack it in with those exclamations!! I don't like the sound of that!

He's not done a shit job, honest.

I am missing the plastic bits that go under the sill just after the arch anyway so maybe that does something? (clutching at straws here)

Tight panel lip fits, good close spot welding, properly applied seam sealer, correctly bonded 1/4 light glass, tailights correctly sealed, rear hatch sealing properly, rear wing mounts sealed... blah blah. Strip out ALL the trim and hose it down, with someone inside seeing where water is ingressing. have fun, horrible job finding water leaks, they often leak miles from the puddle :(

thanks guys. Chris that does sound like a pain. There's definately something about the arch because it sounds very atmospheric if you see what I mean.

There was no water on the trim or carpet so I presume that eliminates the 1/4 window? The water was here:

http://www.css-networks.com/water.jpg

Only reason I decided to look was because of the noise and because my speakers started to crackle, then pretty much died. As it happens there's no water around the wiring / speakers - they seem to be covered in some kind of chalk powder which makes it pretty easy to see if they're wet.

i had to do the water leaks when i was at ford, as CW says horible job, not up to you to put it right though mate, take it back to them and let them find the leak, i would guess at quarter light or seam sealer,

that chalk dust is filler dust that they should have cleaned up ;)

edit: dude you beat me to it

Originally posted by leett

just a thought but the water could be coming in from under the rear spoiler. its not unheard of

Most likely place if they took it off , put a ring of sikoflex around each bolt hole in the tailgate to cure it !!!:thumbs:

Dude:flame Dev