The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Drift Day @ Crail Saturday 12th June '04

tDR

Date - Saturday 12th June 2004

Time - 9AM - 4PM ish

Venue - Crail Raceway

Price - £25

Wanna open this up to the Supra's and anything else RWD that fancies having a go. As some of you may know, us 200SX owners are drifting mad. As such, we have an arrangement with Crail for private hire of the airfield for our drift practice days (this will be the 2nd one). The course will be the 8val track as used on the Banzai day at Crail on the 18th of April. The format is bring some spare wheels with tyres and enjoy drifting :)

We can also use the rest of the venue so if you wanna drag race you can, but nothing will be timed.

Fast & Modified Magazine want to cover us nutters out drifting for a feature in the magazine, so they will be there taking pics and talking to drivers about this exciting new UK motorsport and their cars.

I'll post a short blurb on what drifting is in a moment to give you an idea.

Anyone up for it? If so, add your name to the list below by cutting and pasting. I'll be there in my S13 200SX track / drift toy.

- ThunDeR (S13 200SX)

-

-

-

-

Drifting is a motorsport discipline new to the UK that originates from Japan.

It is essentially the art of driving a car as sideways as possible for as long as possible round a conventional race circuit, linking slides and turns into one fluid, controlled movement.

It is a unique form of motorsport in that competitions are comprised of individual runs judged on style rather than the more conventional tradition of many cars on track at once, racing each other.

Although it might look like an extreme form of driving, the reality is that speeds are generally low and when mishaps do happen, its generally just a simple spin to a halt, before carrying on to the next turn.

Drifting has been recognised in Japan for the last 30 years, but has become hugely popular there in the last 15 years and is now a fully established national sport. America is following suit and had it’s first pro drift competition in mid 2003. Japanese drivers and their cars were shipped over to compete in front of a capacity crowd. The sport is currently in its infancy in the UK, but is very quickly gaining recognition and popularity both as an easily accessible amateur motorsport and a very popular spectator attraction.

In the UK at the moment, entry fees are small and any rear wheel drive road car can take part in the competitions. All that’s needed is a helmet, the ability to learn and think fast and a serious passion for driving.

*** Explanation courtesy of NewClearBomb over on sxoc.com ***

That's the spirit :thumbs:

Just rears you need as they wear very quickly with spinning em up all the time whilst on the move. Fronts don't wear much........ I usually run original wheels on the back with my 17's on the front.