The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-spec rear brakes, confusion.

gavin.starr

For a start i have decided to replace the rear brakes on my J-spec supra.

My origional brakes look like this:

11052010159.jpg

11052010160.jpg

the first pic shows the rear brakes have a lip around the internal part of the disk centralises my alloy wheel.

And this pic shows that the rear brake has a splined internal bore that the drive shafts locate into.

11052010158.jpg

My new brakes look like this and have none of the above.

Am i being stupid or have i got the wrong disks for the job.

Gav

errm maybe being misguided. but there is no reason to take the hub nut off to change discs. I think you have gone in the wrong direction :) the discs come off leaving the hub behind.

On the disc you will see 2 threaded holes m8 I think. put 2x studs into these and tighten equally while 'gently' tapping the disc. They have a habit of corroding the discs to the hubs these two nuts act as a puller seperating them.

the lip that centralises the wheel is actually part of the hub(this stays on the car) over time it looks as if the hub/disc is one component, but they are seperate :)

hope this helps

Rob

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

I have the same problem.

Finding it very hard to get the rear discs off.

"the disc will just come off but may need a few belts with hammer ,also the handbrake shoes may be holding it on also as they are inside "

As mentioned before, mine were difficult, but did come off with some encouragement taking the above into account.

"the disc will just come off but may need a few belts with hammer ,also the handbrake shoes may be holding it on also as they are inside "

As mentioned before, mine were difficult, but did come off with some encouragement taking the above into account.

Robzki's on the money. The discs will be slightly corroded onto the hub, when I wound in the two bolts it did make a fairly loud 'bang' when it seperated which scared the crap out of me.

Great stuff,

Didn't realise there were two bolts, will give that a go.

The tensioner is all wound off, but its still stuck firm.

I hear a very loud bang on its way :blink:

Don't take this the wrong way guys but this is frightening it's the only word to describe it, its been said before but the brakes are really important and if you need to ask advice on a forum on how to remove them after the rear hub hjas been half removed you really should not be doing the job!!!!:( At least get someone competent to check your work. Oh don't know if this has been mentioned but de-adjust the shoes or you may tear the handbrake part apart by pulling the disc off especially if they have worn into a groove.

I carry out all my own work on my car apart from large tasks such as clutches etc as i just cant gain access.

I just came a bit stuck, as mentioned above it looks like the brake disk is part of the hub. Hence the title little bit confused.

Every other car i have worked on look completley seperate to the hub so i just got stumped a little. But as soon as i was informed of the two M8 holes it came off dead easy. Im a competant worker and i double check every bit of work i do due to the nature of work im in. I dont want you to think that there is an un trust worthy supra roaming the streets.

Just wanted to clarify

Gavin

Yep agreed, from past experience with Gav I know he was just having an off day and is more than competent. which is why I didn't mention torqueing up the rear hub nut, new split pin, readjusting handbrake, cleaning the faces, runout etc.

we all have off days