The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoke from gearstick area..

Stonkin

Morning guys,

Was driving to see the girlfriend last night, on a dual carriage way doing around 70 leps. All was fine and the car was great. A silver 4 door Mercedes with tinted windows pulls along next to me, revs his engine (:D) and pulls away. I rarely get to drive the car so thought why not and floored it, the auto dropped to 3rd up to the redline, into 4th and i let off around 140 leps.

I couldnt see the mercedes anymore apart from a faint flash of his lights :D but i looked down to the gear stick area and im sure i saw smoke. The sun was shining through the windscreen a bit hazy but i dont think it was that but it equally didnt look like thick smoke, just a haze. I dont have any dash panels fitted at the mo as they are waiting to go back in, i put my hand in the area behind the auto lever and couldnt feel any heat.

So i know this is all a bit vague and i could really do with trying this again, couldnt do so at the time as i pretty much came off at the next slip road and a few miles on country roads to her house. I didnt see any smoke for the rest of the journey but i was equally giving the car a cool down before arriving.

Could i have a box on the way out? even though it was changing gears smoothly and sounded fine. It had about 3 litres of fresh fluid put in by Charlie a few hundred miles ago, and even what came out was still nice and red.

My only other thought is i have a slight exhaust leak with a gasket between the first and second decat which i noticed last week, might sound totally stupid but it couldnt have been gases from that could it? (will hang head in shame and no doubt edit post if that sounds ridiculous :) )

Edited by Stonkin (see edit history)

You know i sat here for 5 mins thinking 'shall i actually submit this post?' :D

Its all very vague i know, i didnt notice any smell, but there was definetly something there. God im just asking for it arent i :)

Think i need to go out with a passenger and let them check.

So the exhaust gasket theory is naff then yes?

when my cam covers were leaking from the back I had a shed load of oil smoke from the second cat section (ran onto the exhaust and burnt), nothing when moving because of air flow, but loads when stationary. but none ever came inside the cabin so maybe not your decats :)

id have thought if it was gear oil burning you would have smelt it bad as it stinks real nasty (cat piss smell), thing is the gearstick selector is almost sealed with a rubber seal so id have thought any smoke inside the car would have been from the wiring or somthing not from outside the shell.

There are a few bolt holes that go right through the tunnel if you have removed any then you have effectivly got a hole in the chassis lol.. I had this on a NA that i rebuilt.. It had holes etc and a slight exhaust blow (couldnt hear it) coming from the join between the first and second cat.. I had gasses blowing into the car when driving quick.. Obviously when i noticed i fixed straight away..

Not saying that it is what it is but it could be?

Hi Jody, ive certainly never removed any of them, its just the dash panels that are off. Didnt get time to take it out last night, waw working late. As soon as i do i'll give it some beans and see what happens. Ive got a feeling it was just dust though that caught the glare from the sunlight.

Hi jza80, isnt HM issues normally a wet passenger footwell?

Lol :D funny

I was talking to a mate about this last night...

mate: that sounds weird, had you just had a cig or something?

me: erm, yeah i had actually

mate: tw&t!

:D

Still dont think it was that though as both windows were open half way

Lol :D funny

I was talking to a mate about this last night...

mate: that sounds weird, had you just had a cig or something?

me: erm, yeah i had actually

mate: tw&t!

:D

Still dont think it was that though as both windows were open half way

:rlol:

Christian I am starting to think if you were drinking!

As mentioned you most likely would have gotten a smell, wether it was burning oil, rubber etc you would have got a smell. If it was heater maxtrix then yes first indications are no heat & wet passenger footwell, also a rank smell!

I'd go out as you suggested with a passenger & give it a blast, though make sure the engine & gearbox is nice & warm as last time.

Try not to have a fag though :D

Hi jza80, isnt HM issues normally a wet passenger footwell?

It nomally manifests as a wet footwell, however I've had another car in which the core split. I noticed what looked like smoke (more so than steam) which I initially put down to a faulty wire. A few weeks later the cabin filled with steam and it was obvious the matrix had gone.

Maybe worth having a poke around the top of the passenger footwell for early signs.

Ok mate will have a check.

Took it out last night and its had a long drive this morning. Plenty of fun with a new M3, RS4 and several other smaller cars, everyone seemed to be up for it today :D Car was absolutely fine, no smoke, smell or anything, pulling like a train :)

Think it must have been dust in the sun haze or something