The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10 minute job my muscular buttocks

BazzaAlpine

Well I got my replacement headlight (thanks Jackso) and figured I'd have a go at fitting it after work seeing as everyone says it's a 10 minute job.

Took a little hunting but found the last nut at the bottom of the light tucked away right next to the wing. Some fiddling around with the connectors and wiggling of the headlight and out it comes. So far so good and only 5 minutes over the 10 so far:)

Swap the bulbs over to the new headlight and start to slide in into place. Almost seems to be a slightly differnt shape? The top edge next to the wing was low and too far in but that was nothing compared to the radiator side not even reaching the bolt hole. Loads of twisting and shoving later and it just ain't straightening up. Look around with a tourch to see if it's jaming on something and sure enough part of the light casing is up against part of the body work. More twisting and shoving later and it's not getting past it.

I compare the area of the new light to the old one and notice this:

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17347&d=1273520544

The loose ring sitting to the left is from the new headlight and the one to the right is my original. Notice that mine has 2 screws and the original has 4 :( It was one of these extra screws (the one to the top right of the pic to be exact though it was on the bottom when trying to fit) that was stopping the light sliding in. Well some bodge jobbing later and I've taken the 2 screw version off the original, cut off the bit of the casing that was in the way and halves the size of one next to it so the 2 screw one wasn't sitting at an angle.

End result is 2 hours later it is in, secured and working thought the fit still doesn't seem right. Too tight on the grill side (had to really press down on the bonnet to get it to latch) and a gap on the wing side :S