The mkiv Supra Owners Club

my holset hx35 drift build

mitsi_matt

a few months ago i bought a mint 51k supra tt auto with the intention of using it as my daily after the first few weeks of driving it the novelty wore off & i spend more time in my densil focus & landcruiser, with the supra abandoned in the garage so after alot of thought i have decided it needs to be a PROPERLY built road legal drift car

my soarer has now been broken for parts to help fund the supra build & ofcorse for the r154 manual conversion.

car as i bought it:

some parts arrived:

which resulted in this:

thats as far as i have got so far it will be a long build over the course of this year with a view to compete in next years season!

took it to norfolk arena yesterday with the autobox still attached basically to see where the car is at in its fairly standard trim.

my assesment of what needs doing first: LOCK.

very different going back to a car with stock lock after the soarer with its rackspacers & knuckle mod took me 3runs or so getting used to skidding with less angle again.

i was also very suprised at how well the autobox performed does not make much difference at all at norfolk, although dont think i would enjoy a higher grip track such as pod as much with it!

couple of piccys of the day:

a little picture summary of parts i have collected so far:

Edited by mitsi_matt (see edit history)

looks like a good build.. !!! notice how the rest of the forum ignore you cos your skidding it!!

Actually there are many members interested in this kinda thread, me included having previously drifted an S13 and a JZA70. Still, you get your first infraction on your record for persisting with the inflammatory posts - you were warned.

Matt - sorry for the distraction. Looks like a good first outing - did you find you were stomping the footbrake then hard on the power to break traction into the corners? I found myself doing that with mine but I had a drag auto setup and a TRD 2-way so had to coax it into tail out!

Does the hydraulic handbrake make a big difference? Really tempted to build a cheap drift car to play with again and get the skill level up / seat time in.

Cheers,

Brian.

Actually there are many members interested in this kinda thread, me included having previously drifted an S13 and a JZA70. Still, you get your first infraction on your record for persisting with the inflammatory posts - you were warned.

Matt - sorry for the distraction. Looks like a good first outing - did you find you were stomping the footbrake then hard on the power to break traction into the corners? I found myself doing that with mine but I had a drag auto setup and a TRD 2-way so had to coax it into tail out!

Does the hydraulic handbrake make a big difference? Really tempted to build a cheap drift car to play with again and get the skill level up / seat time in.

Cheers,

Brian.

i have not fitted the hydro as yet so sar just coilovers, exhaust & a bucket seat!

i tend to use weight transfer to unsettle the rear into a slide tbh! norfolk arena is a very low grip surface & the supra has plenty enough power just to stamp on the heavy pedal & initiate!

i thaught so , was looking at one of those. how dose it sound.

very throaty on tickover but i still have the cat so its very quiet at the mo, all that will change when i get the holset on 80mm bore straight through to the backbox then.:D

only issue i have is thet the tailpipe was touching the rear bumper i packed the hanger out 10mm for clearance so it sis not melt the bumper & the centre flange is very low now to the point i overtook a car on the way to norfolk arena and heard ting ting ting ting ting as it caught all the cats eyes in the middle of the road.:)

my car is very low at the back & could do with being wound up a tad!

Edited by mitsi_matt (see edit history)

Hi Matt, nice to meet you last week. I'm a bit gutted I missed this yesterday, looks good.:thumbs:

As we were at Silverstone all last weekend the missus said no motor-sport this weekend so we had to go out for lunch up the coast instead!

Will keep an eye out for when your next in Lynn and do my best to come along. Really fancy having a go actually.

Are all your practice days announced on the drift works site?