The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Manu Button (ECT-iS)

Steve W2

I have searched this and still aren't much the wiser. I have noticed that most of you peeps when referring to having a race or doing a standing qurater have the manu button on. Is this so that the light is on in dash? Or the other way round?

If I have the manu button on all it seems to do is hold it in the gear for longer.

When I want a quick start I just turn the o/d off so that it lights up in my dash and the slip control off. Should I have the manu light on or off for better performance?

TIA:)

With MANU switched on, it will not change gear until you move the gear lever to the next gear, but it will change straight away rather than hold on for a little longer like it does in full auto mode.

O/D will only work when your in D (3rd) gear with MANU 'off'. doesn't make any difference to the launch being in O/D.

:)

Originally posted by Castle

with overdrive off in auto the gears change at a lower RPM thus quicker and with MANU it also acts as a 4th gear

OD doesn't work in MANU mode!

In full auto mode they only change at lower revs if your not using full throttle. It changes gear depending on speed, revs, throttle position etc... MANU lets you decide when to change.

Originally posted by ChrisB

does 4th gear still work if your in manu mode? does it automatically switch up when your at that speed? or does it just stay locked in third then boucne of the limiter?

Nope, doesn't work in MANU. Yes you will bounce off the limiter in 3rd until you switch off MANU and engage OD.

Also, if your cruising in AUTO mode with OD on, if you switch MANU on and hold the throttle it stays in 4th/OD. Press the throttle slightly and it drops out of 4th/OD and into 3rd. :)

Ahh!

I tend to drive alot in Manu mode, im always flicking in and out of it, OD on and off etc.... I find you can accelerate alot quicker in manu mode without using full throttle.

Just think of it as being in Manu mode, disables 4th/OD, until switched off.

Nobody's mentioned the fact that in 'MANU' mode, if you select '2', that is all you get, you even pull away in 2nd gear from stationary. Thus a very slow start. When pulling away in full Auto in '2' you will still get 1st gear, but the up change will be limited to 2nd.

If you use manu for getting off the line you must select '1'. Also (apparently) the 'transition' from one gear to the next is faster. You may notice gear changes are slightly harsher. When in full auto, the ECu smoothes out the gear changes, this doesn't happen to the same degree in Manu.

Originally posted by Steve W2

I have searched this and still aren't much the wiser. I have noticed that most of you peeps when referring to having a race or doing a standing qurater have the manu button on. Is this so that the light is on in dash? Or the other way round?

If I have the manu button on all it seems to do is hold it in the gear for longer.

When I want a quick start I just turn the o/d off so that it lights up in my dash and the slip control off. Should I have the manu light on or off for better performance?

TIA:)

I have allready posted on this subject a couple of times fella. If you want a more controllable quick start then manu is the way to go just don't forget to move the stick up through the 3 gears or you will slap the limiter repeatedly. Oh and if in manu try not to set off in D as its the same as setting off in third lol.:p When its in Manu mode the light is on the dash to remind you. And to re-itterate O/D does bugger all other than be a fourth gear.

The only use I have found for knocking it out of O/D with the button is above 85-90 mph when you accelerate full it won't kick down automatically so I podge the button which drops it down and then podge it back again so it can reselect 4th when you get to 115mph. In traffic I guess it might make a nano-difference as it won't have to go across as many gears to get from 3rd to 1st as O/D to 1st but you don't sit in traffic in 2nd just because a 3rd to 1st gear change is slower than a 2nd to 1st gear change.

Originally posted by Soop Dogg

Nobody's mentioned the fact that in 'MANU' mode, if you select '2', that is all you get, you even pull away in 2nd gear from stationary. Thus a very slow start. When pulling away in full Auto in '2' you will still get 1st gear, but the up change will be limited to 2nd.

Yep, quite right, I didn't say anything cause I thought everyone knew that. :)

Apart from all those with the clunky 6sp boxes! ;) :p

Originally posted by dangerous brain

Oh and if in manu try not to set off in D as its the same as setting off in third lol.:p

Actually you will pull away in 2nd if D is selected and you're in manual mode, it wont allow you to pull away in third.