The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What a carry on! Getting new engine mounts fitted, thanks to Lee @ SRD!

Kev_A

Well, after searching and searching for a resolution to my vibration on idle problem, everything seemed to lead back to knackered engine/gearbox mounts.

Not having enough money to afford brand spanking new ones I done the next best thing and bought nearly new ones from Rob Wild.

When they arrived bar a little dust they did actually look new!

Took the car round a few places to get quotes for fitting and Vine Place turned out to be the most affordable.

Dropped the car off on Thursday and heard nothing for the rest of the day until around 5:00pm when I got a call from the garage telling me what a PITA it had been to get the old mounts off, he said he didn't think they'd get it finished that day, I told him not to worry as the car only really got used properly at the weekend anyway.

That said I heard nothing else until around 12:30pm the following day, it was the garage again, he'd phoned to tell me there was a problem, after removing the old mounts and offering the new ones up it looked like they weren't meant for the car, that they were completely different to what was on there and that if they manged to get them in the engine would sit around 2" higher! :blink:

I started to panic a little as I only had the money to pay the garage labour and nothing spare to buy brand new "correct fitting" mounts. I told him I'd do a little digging for info and get back to him.

I rang a friend of mine in the trade who priced up a pair of mounts for me from Toyota using my cars V.I.N number, they came it at just under £170 inc. VAT, not bad I thought but still more than I could afford.

I started to head to Toyota, coming terms with the fact I'd have to either use my credit card to buy new mounts or have the garage put the old mounts back on :(

When I got to Toyota I decided I'd try one last thing before I took the plunge on the new mounts, using my phone I Jumped straight on here and started searching, hoping to find an old thread with the same issue or someone who really knew what they were talking about, in recent times I'd heard the name Lee P of SRD thrown around alot, after googling his contact info I gave him a ring and well, what can I say! What a guy!

I introduced myself as a member of the forum and he couldn't be more helpful!

He advised me that my car (being a pre-facelift '96 TT Auto, would probably have the newer (shite) engine mounts fitted, he asked me to describe the mounts I'd bought from Rob (bulky and alloy looking) he also told me that the garage were probably attempting to fit the new (old style) mounts with the old (new style) brackets and this would simply not work, the needed to remove the whole original setup from the car in order to fit the kit Rob supplied me with, I had a moment of clarity as he explained and it all seemed to make sense!

I didn't want to push my luck as Lee didn't know me from Adam, but yet didn't hesitate in giving me all the info I needed, but not being the most mechanical minded person I didn't want to mess it up explaining all this to the garage, I asked Lee if it'd be ok for me to pass his number to the garage so he could explain things, he said that was not a problem at all! :)

I passed his number on and they garage called him. I phoned them up this morning to ask how things were going, they said they'd spoken to Lee (even they commented on what a sound and helpful lad he was!)

They said that that's exactly what they were trying to do (mix and match brackets and mounts) they hadn't thought to use the new brackets (I think mainly as the old ones were proving such a twat to get off!)

They are going to go with Lee's advice on Monday and hopefully I'll get my car back!

Sorry for the massive write up, just wanted to tell my tale and thought it may help someone else in the future!

I just want to say a massive thanks to Lee P @ SRD for his sound advice and friendly attitude towards myself and a random garage 350 miles away from him!

I owe you one mate!

I'll update hopefully on Monday to see if this has finally got rid of the vibration! (It better have after all of this carry on!)

Edited by Kev_A (see edit history)

Update!

Finally got the car back with the new mounts and brackets fitted, it worked! No more vibration, I've never experienced the car this way before!

As well as the vibration it used to sort of jerk at startup presumably from the engine turning over, it also used to jerk in to gear sometimes too, this is now all cured!

I can sit at the lights in perfect comfort, be it Drive or Neutral and the only sound is the exhaust lightly burbling behind me :)

I'm so pleased this is finally sorted! I might get the gearbox mount replaced too just for added peace of mind and to complete the set.

Glad it's sorted :)

Another +1 for Lee, a true gent. A while back I was heading down to SRD to pick up a seat when I had a blow out, turns out my wrench wouldn't fit the aftermarket nuts, Lee loaded up the seat and tools and drove out to me, top stuff indeed as I would have been stranded otherwise :thumbs: