The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A few noob questions

Guest muttleyturbo

Guest muttleyturbo

Right, be gentle with me (I have downloaded and read the guides on here but still have some queries, I have searched but hey it's a forum so I'm going to ask again for confirmation).

This is all regard to N/A J-spec Supras by the way...

- It says in the guide on here that ideally Supras should be ran on the highest Ron fuel possible. Is this the same for N/A's? Or can normal super market fuels be used on non turbo Supras?

- Do all UK parts fit J-Spec supras, will I have many problems finding parts if I buy an N/A import?

- In general am I looking at a lot to maintain a N/A than any other car? I understand that the engines are 'bullet proof' but is there anything else I should be prepared for?

- VERY silly question, whats the best mpg I can get out of a N/A?

And finally...

- Auto boxes, I have read that the Supra box is a lot better than your average auto box. I have driven manuals my whole life, before I had completely discarded an auto. Can you auto guys comment on this?

thank you

Guest muttleyturbo

Yeah I'm gonna go and see an auto tomorrow and this will be the first auto supra I will have driven. I'm trying to get a viewing for a manual as well so fingers crossed.

The main thing I'm worried about really is what fuel to use on a J-spec N/A. IE is normal ron fuel ok? If not is there anything that can be done so normal ron fuel can be used?

Edited by muttleyturbo (see edit history)

I have a j spec n/a auto, the auto box is very good, the manual mode is fun for when you are in the mood for changing gears yourself.

I run high ron fuel and I think you get better throttle response and maybe a few more mpg, I tried a full tank of oth and now just run the good stuff.

Mpg wise you will get around 35-40 miles to a tenner in town, maybe 50 miles on the motorway.

I have had a few performance cars and I adore the supra, they are epic, you won't be disapointed

good luck

Normal/regular unleaded is absolutely fine mate. I imagine if the seller says he's only ever run it on super then if you were to buy it and switch to regular it might affect the car a little, but guess that resetting the ecu would settle it down.

Auto's great too. :)

When I was driving to Poland from Darby to Dover average Fuel consumption 9 liters for 60 miles (with average speed of 60 miles), In germany my fuel consumption go down to 25 but that was driving betwen 90 and 120 mph. great cars and will always recommend them. After a time you will understand more power is required. Well I did :p

- It says in the guide on here that ideally Supras should be ran on the highest Ron fuel possible. Is this the same for N/A's? Or can normal super market fuels be used on non turbo Supras?

Normal unleaded will be fine.

- Do all UK parts fit J-Spec supras, will I have many problems finding parts if I buy an N/A import?

Sourcing parts is not a problem, some parts are specific to the different models, but Toyota UK and many other traders sell parts for the J-spec Supras.

- In general am I looking at a lot to maintain a N/A than any other car? I understand that the engines are 'bullet proof' but is there anything else I should be prepared for?

General service parts are not particularly expensive. You should have no problems with the 2JZ-GE engine if it has been regularly serviced.

Replacement suspension parts are expensive and wear can be a problem on a high mileage car. Ideally when looking over a car get it on a ramp and get a mechanic to give all the bushes, joints, brakes, etc. a good check over.

Guest muttleyturbo

thanks for the responses, has cleared everything up for me

Good to know the N/A can be ran on normal unleaded as well :)

run mine on normal unleaded and its fine .auto is good too.all parts are available from toyota.mines an n/a and it is good performance from 4000 rpm but makes you wonder what a tt would do. should i have bought a tt?may be next time.