The mkiv Supra Owners Club

hi frm leeds

Guest damo1

Guest damo1

Hi everyone, this is a big step for me making a transistion from vauxhall/bmw to the japanese scene...

rite down to the point my next car is guna be either a supra or skyline at this moment in time im swaying towards supra but i dnt really know much about the car only that they look great and sound fab but when im guna be spending the most money on a car ive ever spent i wanna know everything about the car be i purchase it

so this is the modal im after

supra twin turbo manual.

again ive never owned 1 so i dnt have a clue wat the good points are aswell as the bad points. im wanting to import it instead ov buying in the uk. again which would be the best option for me

so can any1 please give me the info on the modal that im wanting and i mean everything i.e good points, bad points maintanence issues, common faults..difference between buyng a uk spec to importing

again this is guna be a big step for me and i dnt wanna make a mistake on getting the wrong car...

im also off to japfest at the end ov nxt week to look around so if you are taking your supra there and you see a 6'3" bloke looking around it like a twocker dnt worry it just me gmaking my mind up lol

thanks guys and all help would be fantastic....

regards

damo

Welcome mate.

Spend some time searching threads on this forum and all your questions will be answered.

If you want to import your supra get in touch with 'jm-imports' on this site for a quality service.

And i sold my skyline R33 to get my Supra, and never looked back. The only skyline i'd go back for is the R34 GTR.

Hi Damo

I have owned both a skyline gtr and a supra tt and both are great cars.

It all depends on what you’re after from your car? , if you want to achieve big bhp the supra is the far easier of the two in relation to BHP per £.The skyline cost a little more to make gains.

The skyline is a far more forgiving car to drive fast (in my opinion) with the ATTESA-ETS 4WD system and the Super-HICAS all doing their part to keep you the right side of the hedge :).

I found the supra a more demanding car to drive fast (you have to be awake :) ).

If Practicality comes into it the skyline is easier to live with as it has lots more head and leg room ( I am the same height as you and I found both ok ) and your mates wont be cramped in the back lol.

I could go on but just have a look around at japfest and talk to the owners, people on this forum and all skyline owners are a friendly bunch and will be happy to talk and answer questions.

Cheers

DAN

Guest damo1

yeh i searched jm imports last nite sent emails etc but got a quote of 9k thats abit pricey for me at the moment cn got to 7k 8k max.

im looking on auto trader but to me it seems every1 gets the cars imported and then bangs shed loads of profit on ie theres a dealer 5 miles from my house and prices start from 10k im like what!!! i was told importing a car is a hell ov alot cheaper than buying in uk but looks like it isnt at the moment but i may be proved wrong..

my cars i had was a vx calibra turbo running 358bhp but i had a problem when a pistion shot through the block so that was death to a nice car. so i them bought a e36 m3 for 4k and again the oil pump seized and the bloody light didnt even come on the dash to warn me until it was to late BOOM!!!! another death. so now i ride about in a 318i 8 poxy valve lol until i get the car i want ...

its my sisters boyfriend who's got me into the jap scene as he has had so many impreza's and he has a evo9 at the mo and its pissing me off listerning to his dump valve going all the time as i miss my cally lol.

but my plans are to get a supra or skyline but thinking guna be supra.. and only use it for 5 months ov the year then will be dry stored rest ov year only to come out during summer time, the other months i can do mods but not to sure to go hard top or aerotop.

to me the supras look more stylish than the squareing ov the skyline and 24k for a v,spec gtr is way out ov my budget unless i win lottery.

and to be honest if im gona have a supra im going to make it as similar to the 1 in the fast n furious, but for the life ov me i cannot source the sticker or vinals lol

Guest damo1

thanks dan..

yeh im definatly going to do it.. you see ive beeing thinking of buying a supra for about 3 months now as my house is up for sale but ive being thinking to get a loan to get the car i want until my house sells then i can just pay it off in 1 lump go and the rest of ccash im going to set up an insurance company just for modified cars only as there is a big market out there..

but my current girlfriend is telling me to just wait until house is sold to get my car BUT the bloody bug is driving me crazy and its really annoying lol

I was looking at Supra - Skyline - Scooby - Evo from July to Dec last year.

I decided on the Supra and I think its the best choice I could have made , for various different reasons over the other three. Dont rush into buying though and find the best for your money. Tipically a members car off here will be your best bet over ebay etc or... if you can wait (not likely I know:) ) contact JM on the traders section here.

For 8k you would get a great car off the for sales here but goddam lol dont do the fast and furious thing :D its old hat (no dom quotes in your sig either) ;)

Guest damo1

oh man now your the first person to say that lol ok i will go for the supra in the 2nd film lol

yeh i know im not guna rush into anything but i dnt like handing over alot of cash either expessially if im guna go to my bank and ask for a loan and then repay when my house sells ive had some good info from jm imporst and it looks positive,

but i do like to look at cars myself as im a machanic by trade and not being able to do that and entrust some1 to do that job 4 me is kinda hard to let down but live is all about risks and you gotta do it 1 day havent we?

but now im wondering what will be better hard top or aerotop? arrhhh decisions decisions lol god this is so hard for me

Guest chargespeedgirl

welcome to the site. i will be at japfest if you wana come and talk. i have a supra now but my boyfriend used to own both a skyline and a supra so may be able to shed some light for you. ill be on japriders stand in mine.

Guest damo1

ok thanks for the chat hope your bf doenst think i will be chatting you up lol..

i cant stand this anymore ive being sat her on the laptop looking at all these nice cars of members and is killing me I WANT MY BLOODY SUPRA AND I WANT IT NOW!!!!!

bt im not gunna rushin to it,

looks like im guna have to talk to the gf tonight and even shed a tear or 2 make out that im feeling depressed and that my old car is awful and that mite make her see my emotional side and say yes get a 8k loan and wen house sells then pay it bck:D

god im so good lol

Guest chargespeedgirl

dont let her come on here and see that, good plan tho!!! dont worry he wont, i could have a word in your girlfriends ear too. just say you'll put her on the insurance that should do it lol

The prices you are experiencing are clouded by two issues at the moment.

1) Your choice of model is the most desirable - manual 6 speed, is also quite rare and therefore holds its value more. Consider the fact that secondhand parts required to do a manual conversion command a price of around £2000.

2) The value of the pound against the Yen is affecting the prices of imports.

Don't rule out the automatic option, it's still a very nice car.

And has been said above, please make an attempt to refrain from over-using "txt speak"

Good luck with your search.

Mike

Guest damo1

sorry about the txt talk just sometimes quicker lol..

i know manual is a better option but ive being told to keep away from auto's...

wats the positives and negatives for both transmissions?

wats the positives and negatives for both transmissions?

One of them changes gear for you, and one of them doesn't. :)

A lot of people love the automatic Supras, not sure why anyone would tell you to steer clear. Saying that, I got a manual and that's pretty good too. They fetch much higher prices though.

Test drive both and make your own mind up.

Guest damo1
One of them changes gear for you, and one of them doesn't. :)

i was waiting for a sarki comment lol i know the difference but i mean for the car as when eva 1 ov my mates had an auto box he just had problems all the time

i ment in power delivery fuel consumption etc....

Edited by Pixelfill
fixed quote (see edit history)

The stock Supra auto box is recognised as a strong box, and is usually good for up to 400bhp, up until that level of power it is pretty much bulletproof. Power delivery os pretty good, and the gear changes are smooth and "usually" predictable. and can also be run in MANU mode

Conversely the 6 speed box has been described as "agricultural".

Best bet is to drive each and make your own mind up - Mine was the first auto I had ever driven and have to say I had my reservations before I drove it, after driving it I would have left a deposit but was back to buy it within a fortnight.

Mike

Guest damo1

thanks bud some nice bit of info there but i think im guna go with manual. if it was semi auto with paddle shift gears then i would consider it but i just like manual but each to there own i think..

rite next question is what color is best for supra im thinking either

BLACK, WHITE, SILVER/GUN METAL GREY or BLUE

but for me the color must show the cars lines and i like white and black, so wats best colour that makes the car look sweet..

Guest damo1

i know im justa sking questions that have been asked a thousand times but i have to find out b4 i order mine

wats better an aerotop tt or a normal tt and wats price difference?

again i dnt wanna be making a hugh mistake wen i order the car and then wish i got the other

All aerotops are N/A unless its been converted to TT/Single Turbo. There was not a factory aerotop TT produced

This isn't quite true.

This information applies only to RHD cars there were a large number of LHD Aerotops made in TT form.

However there was also a RHD GZ Aerotop (TT) made for 2 years only between 1993 and 1994, and it was only made with an automatic gearbox.

More information here

Mike

This isn't quite true.

This information applies only to RHD cars there were a large number of LHD Aerotops made in TT form.

However there was also a RHD GZ Aerotop (TT) made for 2 years only between 1993 and 1994, and it was only made with an automatic gearbox.

More information here

Mike

I love you Mike..!! (Swoon)