The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is it my starter? Any help would be great!

a98pmalcolm

Ok tonight i went to start my car, turned to acc, i wait a second for 2 for the fuel pump to start up.... i turned the key to start the engine and i just got 1 tick sound from the starter, as if the battary was to low to turn over the starter!

So i plugged the car charger on, went to make my vote came back and it did it again, tryed again and it started.

Went for a 15 min drive, turned off and then turned on and it started fine.

So i drove to my mates house and when i came out a few hours later turned the key. Nothing, turned again, it started??

Any advice would be great!

Thanks

Paul

I had a similar problem with my starter sticking, was getting the same clicking noise, i was advised to give the starter a light tap to free it off and it hasnt done it since.

Failing that it could need a refurb? parts arent very expensive and apart from been in an awkward place to get off i belive its a fairly simple job.

Could be the battery losing charge but also highly suspect the starter contacts are shot and need refurbing.

Most Supras do it after 15 years/ 70-80k so it's a good bet it's that, expecially as you say that it was clicking (a single click, not multiple I assume?) then tried again and it started fine - this is exactly what mine did until it eventually got worse and I'd have to try starting it multiple times until it stopped clicking and started.

Serach around on here for the part number for the starter refurb kit. I think it was around £15 and only took me 1hr 30mins to do (never done it before) with just jack, axle stands and a few 3/4 extension bars to get to the PITA bolts holding the starter on.

My money's on what wilson said in post #2.

So i drove to my mates house and when i came out a few hours later turned the key. Nothing, turned again, it started??

These are classic symptoms of the starter motor contacts not engaging properly. Exactly the same thing happened to my supra. Sound familiar? :)

You can try tapping the starter motor to get you out of trouble, but it sounds like the contacts need replacing. There's a FAQ on here about how to do it. Parts are circa £20 from Toyota, you don't need a new starter motor.

Before you do that, I'd just make sure the battery terminal clamps are firmly in place, just to eliminate an unlikely cause of your problem.

There's obviously enough charge in the battery, otherwise it wouldn't be able to start the car at all.

:) Sounds like the starter motor needs a refurb....... mine did that a few times so i already had the refurb kit and did it straight away hasnt done it since .........easy to do IF you can get the starter motor off local garage did mine in under an hour ;)

Cheers

-Ian-

i had a very similar issue, turned out to be the battery, the supra's starter motor needs serious current to kick over properly.

Yer i was thinking that as i fitted a sub a few tuesday, and low and behold a few days later this is happening! Mite to the bat 1st! most probly be good to change the bat after all these years!

well i bought a genuine boch S4 blue top batuary today, with a 550 cold start crank over! so alot more power than a standard! only £53 :p and its ment to go dirrectly onto my supra,

They had to order it but they got it on 3 hours! so im fitting that tommorow and i will give u all an update!

If its not the bat it think its a good idea uprgading it due to the sound system, boost conrtoller, water injection, uprated fuel pump etc etc just all these lil things adding up to drink more power!