The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pre build questions

Bailey.

Well this is my first proper post, I'm still waiting too pick up my tt6 Up as the private plate is in the process of being changed and are awaiting the log book to come back from the dvla,, soon after picking the car up and doing a couple of bit of paint and some coilovers I will start putting some bits away and gradually get all the parts together for the big old single tubby conversion:-). Thecar is already at full bpu but no cams etc ! I have couple of questions, first off max power of the stock block, from my research I think it's upton 650 reliably! But I see most are tuned to 530-590 on the standard motor!!! Then max boost, most are 1.2 bar and going upto 1.5, is this mAx for the engine or just a safe level and probably max you would want for road use??? I was used to 1.7 and 1.9 bar on my evo, smaller turbz though oviously!! I know the getrag 6 speed is a vert strong box, but are there many box failures atthis level?? Next is rpm, what is the max rpm for a stock head??? Finally, I've had a power fc on both my evo and my rx7. However I don't see many on supra builds, is there any reason for this??

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

JamieP was running 1.8bar 730hp all day long on a stock block. Sometimes even more.

All depends what your after, what your using the car for and how much you want to plough into the build because it isn't cheap. It can be done cheaper but you get what you pay for in this life.

7200rpm is deamed the safe limit.

There questions that may be answered in many different threads, but I've searched this forum for hours on end, I my fingers bleed from typng in the search bar, lol

Really, how strange......perhaps you need to be a signed up member in order to get access to the search facility that works.....

Oh another welcoming member, quality!!!!!! Tbh I had no Idea what the pros were of being a full member!!!! Where do I sign????

only two of us so far, normally newbies get a very warm welcome.........this has been a luke warm one at best.....

must be election night fever......even the search function is on the dole.

Oh another welcoming member, quality!!!!!! Tbh I had no Idea what the pros were of being a full member!!!! Where do I sign????

That's what you get I'm afraid, these questions are asked a lot on here and are answered the same everytime.

Become a member and read some of the build threads members have done.

Well this is my first proper post, I'm still waiting too pick up my tt6 Up as the private plate is in the process of being changed and are awaiting the log book to come back from the dvla,, soon after picking the car up and doing a couple of bit of paint and some coilovers I will start putting some bits away and gradually get all the parts together for the big old single tubby conversion:-). Thecar is already at full bpu but no cams etc ! I have couple of questions, first off max power of the stock block, from my research I think it's upton 650 reliably! But I see most are tuned to 530-590 on the standard motor!!! Then max boost, most are 1.2 bar and going upto 1.5, is this mAx for the engine or just a safe level and probably max you would want for road use??? I was used to 1.7 and 1.9 bar on my evo, smaller turbz though oviously!! I know the getrag 6 speed is a vert strong box, but are there many box failures atthis level?? Next is rpm, what is the max rpm for a stock head??? Finally, I've had a power fc on both my evo and my rx7. However I don't see many on supra builds, is there any reason for this??

That was painful to read :D Welcome to the club though ;)

1) Max power of the stock block (when converted to single) is pretty much unknown, though the generally accepted figure is around the 650bhp mark these days. It all depends on the condition of the engine. JamieP had his running at 730bhp for a while on a stock engine, I don't believe there were any issues with the engine itself to date. Some of the US guys have run 900+bhp on stock engines (though with headwork such as cams).

2) Boost will depend on the turbo choice and many other factors. It's not as simple as setting a single figure, it all depends on the entire specification and supporting mods.

3) The getrag box is almost indestructible provided it's one in good condition and other driveline parts are factored. Again the US drag cars have used the stock 6spd box at over 1600bhp without issue.

4) With stock cams and head there doesn't appear to be much point going too far past stock rev limits, some here run up to 7500rpm on the stock engine, but the engine builders always seem to recommend to keep RPM below 7k RPM. As always, the "big picture" of the modifications needs to be considered before thinking rev limits.

5) PowerFC's are great ECU's, I had one on my last Supra. They are not used that much due to lack of supply and the fact that there are now far more advanced ECU's available (though obviously a little more expensive)

max power of the stock block, from my research I think it's upton 650 reliably! But I see most are tuned to 530-590 on the standard motor!!!

600hp was long regarded as the safe max but in recent times these thresholds have been pushed and as already mentioned with a good motor and the right parts more power has been had reliably.

Then max boost, most are 1.2 bar and going upto 1.5, is this mAx for the engine or just a safe level and probably max you would want for road use??? I was used to 1.7 and 1.9 bar on my evo, smaller turbz though oviously!!

Max boost is a bit open ended as so many variable affect it, stock MAP sensor is only rated to 1.2bar, stock turbos 1.2bar is regarded as the safe max for imports. Hybrids, singles and big twins all have so many variables as its down to components and turbo effeciency.

I know the getrag 6 speed is a vert strong box, but are there many box failures atthis level??

If its looked after it should take anything you can chuck at it even in excess of 1000hp ;)

Next is rpm, what is the max rpm for a stock head???

Safe rev limit on stock engine is 7200, in the past I ran 8000rpm and my engine is still in one piece even with multiple drag launches using launch control and bouncing off the limiter, not that I recommended it, did sound nice though :D

Finally, I've had a power fc on both my evo and my rx7. However I don't see many on supra builds, is there any reason for this??

Availbility, the Apexi PowerFC is a very capable unit but these days there are more ECUs available with higher specifications and greater availability and support, I always say choose your mapper and go with what they recommend ;)

So from the answers I have come to a conclusion that there is no need to build the block for a good road going car!!! Will be using the car purely for weekends when it's nice and possibly a few trackdays but for sure it won't be a day to day car!!! Another quickie, rear diff max power??? I know it all depends on how it has been used, but generally?

I'm not changing anything to the block or head and I'm hoping for mid 600hp with uprated intake manifold when I go single in June.

Get everything checked and double checked before work commences to make sure you have a good engine to start with.

Another quickie, rear diff max power??? I know it all depends on how it has been used, but generally?

The LSD TT diff's again are very strong. The pre-facelift 6spd (large diff) being by far the strongest (1000+bhp handling if not abused or in poor condition). As with the gearbox they are near indescrutable, but yet again, there are other factors to consider on how long it wil last. E.g. if you plan on doing drifting or drag racing, which clutch you use, suspension, etc.

I am tempted too have the engine apart juSt for a visual can you see much just by droppng the sump??? Car will be a self build I'm very lucky to have a very good painter and a very good mechanic as my two best pals!!!

The best advice I can offer, unless there is a damn good reason leave it sealed. Some of the best performing engines have been left alone, and some of the most expensive failures have been opened engines. Not a flaw of the parts but of the builders some times. Obviously certain exceptions apply but this is just my view as well.