The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which Wheel Colour? pix inside

Brazil

Hi ppl,

I'm wanting to paint my wheels, which colour do you think will suit my car better?

Gloss Black like in the Maserati Grand Turismo MC Sport Line

Or Black Chrome, for a better contrast?

Any advice on painting alloy wheels, ie: what type of paint? what technique, where to purchase the paint? would be apreciated..!:D

If you pix of your supra with dark colour wheels can you post them up please.

Many Thanks

Brazil...!

Edited by Brazil (see edit history)

Advice; leave them as they are.

or

if you must change them have them plated professionally

The Chrome is starting to flake that is why I am wanting to paint them.

I am not familiar with plating wheels will have to look it up on the web.

Thanks Dr Jekyll

Edited below after a wee research

What is 'Chrome'

Chrome is slang for Chromium, one of the 91 naturally occurring chemical elements. Chrome is a metal, but it is not useful as a solid, pure substance. Things are never made of solid chrome. Rather, when you hear that something is chrome, what is really meant is that there is a thin layer of chrome, a plating of chrome, on the object (the bulk of the object usually being steel, but occasionally aluminum, brass, copper, plastic, or stainless steel).

http://www.finishing.com/faqs/chrome.html

if you try the chrome sparys and paints they just look terrible and fade pretty fast

This is the problem with chrome, unless i figure out how to do it my self...lol

I think I will take on this challenge I've found this really usueful site will make a good thread too..!

http://freepages.pavilion.net/nickfull/chrome.htm

Unfortunately, simply replating an old piece may cost several times what a replacement would cost. It's the old story of labor cost. The new item requires far less prep work, and an operator or machine can handle dozens of identical parts at the same time whereas a mix of old parts cannot be processed simultaneously, but must be processed one item at a time. If a plater has to spend a whole day on your parts, don't expect it to cost less than what a plumber or mechanic would charge you for a day of their time. Follow the link if you're looking for a list of some chrome plating shops serving the public.