The mkiv Supra Owners Club

To powder coat or not to powder coat. (advice needed)

themodifiedkid

Right ive decided to change the look of my engine bay, I currently have a fair few bits of chrome pieces but to look right more or less everything has to be chromed etc.

Anyway i was wanting to keep things black and white to match my car. So i wanted to get the turbo pipes done black aswell as the intercooler pipe work. So question is whats the best step to take, I know that general painting of them (same procedure as I would do bodywork) is out of the question as it would not withstand the heat. But also im unsure whether getting them powder coated is the way forward either as im pretty sure that doesn't like high temperatures either? Does anybody have any advice on this, and whether there is another method that would usually be used in this situation and where abouts this can be done :D

Cheers :D:d

If you are on about the turbo intake pipes then 2K should be fine, if it will stand it on cam covers etc it should be subject to the same heat, i have 2kd bike engines including the barrels with no problems.

Ok cheers mate,well i have done the cam cover with 2k about a year or so ago with no issues so as you say intake pipes should be fine. But also need to know what to use for the actually pipe work that bolts to the turbos that many people have polished up (sorry don't know the actual name for these parts:rolleyes:)

lol become a magpie dude, i know you like the bling like me.

I do like bling when its done right as yours is mate but on my car I have started to go off it, just want something now a little different mate. We shall see what happens ;)

You don't do powder coating at your place do you mate?

Black and bling looks good. A pic of my old engine bay with gloss black powdercoat and a few shiney bits:

The turbo pipework is fine to powdercoat as is the inlet and the cam covers.

Powdercoat is cured in an oven at approx 150 degrees c ;)

engine 4.jpg