The mkiv Supra Owners Club

DVLA letter

Lewis

Re: Failure to notify disposal of vehicle

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing regarding your letter dated 21/05/2004 with reference to a vehicle previously owned by me. After purchasing the vehicle (which had no V5 accompanying it) I duly applied for a log book completing all the relevant details required by your offices. After 5 weeks of waiting for the log book to be provided by you I traded the car in for a new car. I informed the company that had taken the car that I was expecting the V5 from you. Approx 1 week later, the new log book arrived and I made preparation to travel down to the garage that owned the car to complete the V5. I then received a letter from yourselves stating that you had information that the car was now in the hands of a new owner (meaning the garage must have sold it almost immediately). The letter stated that if this was NOT true then I should contact you immediately, but that if I had sold the car then to take no action (and it was expressly noted that in these circumstances I should not make contact with you). I therefore followed the advice provided by you and took no further action. A letter then arrives informing me that by abiding by the letter sent to me I have committed an offense.

As the vehicle has not been disposed of and you could not have the new owners details as I had not received the new log book for the vehicle from you I am writing to inform you of my intention to contest any offense you may wish to bring to court. After speaking at length to John in your Swansea office and Paul in your Stockton enforcement office and explaining my situation fully, they were both in agreement that no further action should be taken against me based on these circumstances.

I've just got a standard gatso letter stating that the police have photographic evidence of me doing 55 in a 40. This is in my Citroen Xantia (no jokes) which I bought 3 weeks ago. Except the offece took place in February!!!

I thought they were supposed to notify you within 2 weeks.

I just filled in the section on the back saying I've only just bought the car.

Hopefully that will be the last of the matter.