The mkiv Supra Owners Club

10.5 J Rear Wheels ----->Tyre Sizes ?

Pudsey

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone with experience of fitting 19 inch x 10.5 J rear alloys on the Supra.

Has to have been done before, so looking for advice on the correct tyre size.

I have been to my local shop and they seem to believe that they have a tyre which will suit a 10.5j, it a Continental best value for money (forgot the size), but they are £190 each?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers ;)

Bloody hell! 19x10.5j? That's gunna be a massive wheel! I'd say you'd need something like a 275(minimum)or 285/30/19? My tyre knowledge is limited, but the others will point you in the right direction!

Edit: Them arches will definately need rolling out too!

Bloody hell! 19x10.5j? That's gunna be a massive wheel! I'd say you'd need something like a 275(minimum)or 285/30/19? My tyre knowledge is limited, but the others will point you in the right direction!

Thanks buddy,

I know the side walls will make quiet a bit of difference, so hoping someone will know.

I have them getting the Continentals in, but was hoping someone could confirm perhaps or could turn out to be an expensive trial and error scenario.

Current rubber on them is stretched on the rear 19/275/30.

Definately don't want that as its dangerous. :blink:

Edited by Pudsey (see edit history)

Apologies, had to reboot.

Front Tyres currently are: -

19/245/35 = Front offset is +40

and

Rear Tyres currently are: -

19/275/30 = Rear offset is +37

I will be rolling the arches by the way, got that all in hand literally ha...........

Edited by Pudsey (see edit history)

285 absolute minimum with the tyres. I have 265 on 10" wheels and they look ridiculous. I would be looking at 295 to keep the costs down, or 305 money no object.

Have you sorted out the rubbing?

295's on a 10.5" wide wheel ? i'd have thought 275 or 285

i use 265's on my 10" fronts and they aren't stretched and also use 295's on my 11.5" rears which also aren't stretched

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there is anyone with experience of fitting 19 inch x 10.5 J rear alloys on the Supra.

Has to have been done before, so looking for advice on the correct tyre size.

I have been to my local shop and they seem to believe that they have a tyre which will suit a 10.5j, it a Continental best value for money (forgot the size), but they are £190 each?

Any advice would be greatly apreciated.

Cheers ;)

I know he's in B'ham but give Ibrar a call, he might be able to source you some better priced rubber for your wheels and get you the correct sizes.

305's are the biggest for the 10.5J wheel and that's what I run. There is a big price difference between 295's and the more expensive 305-variants but 295 will look good in terms of a nice flushed alloy & tyre rim combo.

A 305-tyre will allow for approx 8-10mm of rubber to hang over the alloy rim; 295's will have 5mm less and so on and so on. This means that 285's will probably have no overlap and 275's and below just start to look ugly and stretched (my pet hate as it just looks as if you haven't got a clue about fitting tyres!

Rim width-----Min tyre width-----Ideal tyre width-----Max tyre width

7.0 inches-----195 mm--------205 or 215 mm-----------225 mm

7.5 inches-----205 mm--------215 or 225 mm-----------235 mm

8.0 inches-----215 mm--------225 or 235 mm-----------245 mm

8.5 inches-----225 mm--------235 or 245 mm-----------255 mm

9,0 inches-----235 mm--------245 or 255 mm-----------265 mm

9.5 inches-----245 mm--------255 or 265 mm-----------275 mm

10.0 inches----255 mm--------265 or 275 mm-----------285 mm

10.5 inches----265 mm--------275 or 285 mm-----------295 mm

11.0 inches----275 mm--------285 or 295 mm-----------305 mm

11.5 inches----285 mm--------295 or 305 mm-----------315 mm

12.0 inches----295 mm--------305 or 315 mm-----------325 mm

12.5 inches---305 mm---------315 or 325 mm-----------335 mm

Edited by Dnk (see edit history)

DNK, SupraAyf,

Many thanks for the information, that is in valuable as I didn't really have a clue to be honest.

Just don't want to buy them and then find when I mount the wheels they are way to big and need big arch work!!!

Do we think that £190 a tyre is expensive for that type of size, the tyre gentlemen said it was a very good price as everything else was £230 240 each .......

Ayf, I want some kind of rim protection for sure, and too prefer a proper overlap safer too as the tyre is less likey to part with the rim on hard corning.

Cheers guys.

DNK, SupraAyf,

Many thanks for the information, that is in valuable as I didn't really have a clue to be honest.

Just don't want to buy them and then find when I mount the wheels they are way to big and need big arch work!!!

Do we think that £190 a tyre is expensive for that type of size, the tyre gentlemen said it was a very good price as everything else was £230 240 each .......

Ayf, I want some kind of rim protection for sure, and too prefer a proper overlap safer too as the tyre is less likey to part with the rim on hard corning.

Cheers guys.

http://www.camskill.co.uk

Check them out. By far the best and cheapest tyre supplier out there (in my experience anyway!) :)

DNK, SupraAyf,

Cheers guys.

Hi mate, here's a few pics of my 19-inch 10.5J rears with 305/30 rubber. It will give you an idea of what rubber overlap you get for protecting your alloy.

Don't forget, my wheels are on a widebody car so you will need to compensate offsets and wheel size when calculating your exact tyre & wheel fit;)

Image017.jpg

Image024.jpg

Image023.jpg

DNK, SupraAyf,

Cheers guys.

Speak to Ibrar mate, his numbers in his traders section, Speedwells. He sorts all my tyres out for me, what about Falkens ?

£200 for a large Conti isnt far off but which Conti is it, if its the latest tyre it will be the Contact 3, they stopped making the Contact 2 a while ago so i'd go for the newer model

DNK, SupraAyf,

Cheers guys.

Going bigger isnt they way to go as you'll get more tyre roll due to the tyre being too wide, your actually much better fitting a smaller width tyre, if you dont believe me ask Chris Wilson.

All your getting with the wider tyre is a bit of rim protection but then in my opinion i wouldnt want to be rubbing my £200 tyres up the kerb either ;)

295's on a 10.5" wide wheel ? i'd have thought 275 or 285

i use 265's on my 10" fronts and they aren't stretched and also use 295's on my 11.5" rears which also aren't stretched

Yeah bud, must be down to brands. What tyres are you running? I'm on Falkens...

10" 265...

http://www.scotster.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Supra/Out%20&%20About/IMG_0898.JPG

I could easily get 295's on my 10" wheels. Guess it would need to be falkens though lol. I don't think I could get 265's on my wheel if they were 10.5".

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Ive had allsorts ranging from Contisports, Bridgestones, Goodyears etc and never thought the tyres looked stretched.

I have Falkens on the front of my 330 sport and ive found there limits but their quite acceptable for the money.

Fitting too wide a tyre just get rim protection really isnt a great idea and is just as bad as fitting too narrow a tyre, you'll get an incorrect profile across the surface giving indiferant wear and grip compared to using the optimum size.

Plus going wider is usually more expensive :rolleyes:

Ive had allsorts ranging from Contisports, Bridgestones, Goodyears etc and never thought the tyres looked stretched.

I have Falkens on the front of my 330 sport and ive found there limits but their quite acceptable for the money.

Fitting too wide a tyre just get rim protection really isnt a great idea and is just as bad as fitting too narrow a tyre, you'll get an incorrect profile across the surface giving indiferant wear and grip compared to using the optimum size.

Plus going wider is usually more expensive :rolleyes:

Would you agree that my 265's look stretched on my 10" wheels though?

I think, in my case, I could be doing with 285's or 295's just for a normal fitment, not an oversized fitment.

The same could be true for the op, it is unfair to just dismiss what I am saying going on your experience. I know what you are saying and I agree that going too big is not a good idea, being to small isn't a good idea as you won't get the wall flex required for a good grip.

Would you agree that my 265's look stretched on my 10" wheels though?

I think, in my case, I could be doing with 285's or 295's just for a normal fitment, not an oversized fitment.

The same could be true for the op, it is unfair to just dismiss what I am saying going on your experience. I know what you are saying and I agree that going too big is not a good idea, being to small isn't a good idea as you won't get the wall flex required for a good grip.

To be honest Scott i cant see on the pic you posted.

Differant makes of tyre have differant sidewall profiles, some have a very square sidewall and others a rounded angled sidewall and even though their the correct width will look stretched compared to others.

Some also come with a rim protection ridge moulded into the sidewall.

All im saying is its best to go for the optimum size for the width of rim the tyre is being fitted to. fitting too narrow a tyre just to get clearance on wheel arches is wrong and the same as fitting too wide a tyre to get rim protection is wrong.

same as what i have puds,275, And i need the arches rolled :)

Scott M, Dnk, Blackie,

Thanks for the help.

I have gone with the Continentals and the size is 295/30/19.

The tyres are much much better and actually fit the wheels correctly, no doubt plenty of work to do around the old arched, but I will take care of that.

These tyre sizes can't half get confusing hey...

Fully up to speed now though, Many Thanks all.

hello friend . why not try etyres they can TNT the tyres right to you.:)

Hi there buddy,

Thanks for that information, I have just checked out the site.

Looks like they could well have some great deals in the future, certainly never heard of them before.

I think in the future I will definately try shopping around further a field, looks like you can actually get a great deal from different parts of the country.

Cheers ;)