The mkiv Supra Owners Club

'Bird Chirping' from rear of car!

Elliot

I know I'm posting in the technical section, so you'll have to excuse my non-technical terminology.

I've just been round a mates and on the way there I thought there was a bird following me as I kept hearing chirping every now and then.

After a while, I realised it was my car!

If I accelerate slowly, then ease off, it starts chirping.

The noise is coming from either the passenger side rear wheel, or the exhaust, suspension or somewhere in that area. It only happens when I'm driving, so until I can get it on a ramp I'm stuck.

I'm going to Spain tomorrow, and don't want to be thinking my poor car's buggered all week! (Sorry if some of you misintepret that!)

I had new tyres put on a couple of weeks ago, but I really don't know what to look for with this. It might be as simple as a bit of WD40 on something...

...any ideas anyone for a technical simpleton!? :)

Originally posted by Elliot

IIt only happens when I'm driving, ..............

Get someone else to drive the car problem solved.

Leave enough bird food in the car while you are away.

Check your rear seat is full locked in the upright position

On a slightly more serios note, you could check your rear subframe mounting bolts, these are usually over looked in services.

MKIV,com for torque settings.

Remote diagnosis of the cause of nosies is very difficult.

Mine started something similar just yesterday but is a lot louder than just a 'chirp'. Initially thought it was a caliper problem but pressing brake does not change the noise. Then thought it was brake splashguard catching on disc but a check shows it not catching anywhere. Problem disappears after car driven any distance or at speed, but if left parked it starts up again after a short distance. Definately something to do with wheels/transmission as it happens at a particular part of the rotation of the wheel and is coming from the rear offside. Sounds like a dry bearing...but I'm no expert...any suggestions?...anything need oil/fluid at the rear? Could it be the brakes? answers on a postcard.......

From my experience you are talking about boot rubbers.

Its because they get crushed down and therefore there is a gap which develops between the rubbers which allows the boot latch to move slightly which causes the chirp.

You need to replace them.

I have been intending to replace mine for ages but yet to get around to it because apparently theres locktite on the screws which hold in the lower rubbers (the ones you need to change)

Originally posted by apoc_reg

I have been intending to replace mine for ages but yet to get around to it because apparently theres locktite on the screws which hold in the lower rubbers (the ones you need to change)

Dead easy dude 0 buy yourself a "flameless lighter" they are a few quid and melt the loctite off the feckers !

I too think these are boot rubbers BTW but in my experience the boot rubber noise can range from a chirp to a full on rattle depending on the extent of how the rubbers are perished Like Termy suggested try a little washing up liquuid,I found general purpose automotive grease or a finger of Vaseline :eek: (if you dont have grease) does the trick as a temp measure.:thumbs: