The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buying an import Supra...

Guest muttleyturbo

Guest muttleyturbo

Please be gentle on me for this, I had a quick search but couldn't find a definitive answer. So apologies in advance if it has been asked many times before.

When buying a Supra I have seen a few times 'odo now in miles so might not be a true representation of mileage'

Why do people not just leave the odo alone when having a car imported so they will always know the true distance the car has covered. Can the dial faces not just be changed to mph and the odo left alone?

Guest muttleyturbo

Ah ok thanks, It just baffles me why people change it. I don't see why it's an issue to have the odo show in kilometers.

JamieP, I presume you (or the previous owner / importer) just changed the dial faces to read in mph?

Well yes I take it the odo can be left to run in KM and the dials changed to show MPH (the clocks are law I think) My Supra TT has always run in KM (previous owner) but has MPH clocks so I take it mileage... kilometerage:D is correct

When i had my celica the speedo was in mph but the mileage in km's.

But when i checked the distance i found the mileage to be going up in miles and i think the supra did the same.

BUT i may have had some weird wiring going on though.

Just check it when you go out for a test drive.

Guest muttleyturbo

I think I may look for a supra that has not had the odo changed to miles, however saying that it's more how the engine has been looked after rather than the mileage.

I know the supra engine are considered 'bullet proof', however what would be considered 'high mileage' for a supra engine (I am looking at N/A's if that makes a difference). (sorry for asking a slightly different question in this thread but I don't want to spam your forum with my n00b posts that have probably been asked a billion times before)

Guest muttleyturbo
I dont run a normal dash, mine is on a dash2 display, odo still in the original place and read kilometers.:)

Impressive video, you looked calm with only one hand on the wheel at that speed :D