The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Couple questions on going single

Cerikbok

I am soon to be moving back to the U.S. (Soon is a relative term, early next year). So I have started to snatch up parts here to start my big single build. To give everyone an idea of what I am going for, is literally an entire rebuild of the car. I plan on having the chassis stripped and sprayed (thinking Gunmetal or Saph Blue...) the engine completely redone with pistons, cams etc. Custom interior, basically the whole show car ordeal. I have owned 2 Supras now and I am absolutely in love with them, I just can't picture driving another car, but I digress. To the real point I started this thread.

I would like peoples input on what singles are ideal for this purpose, I am looking to make around 500-600 BHP, the car will be street legal with no cage so I can't imagine going above that. What turbos work the best? I ask the question because manufacturer sites are clearly biased and I would like the working mans opinion. What sort of boost controllers/ECU's is everyone running and had the best experiences with? Am I naive to not at least put a half cage in? Will I need to get a 6sp conversion done or will the 5sp gearbox hold that much HP? My last question, which I had trouble finding an answer to on google before I came here is. Do I need to start with an N/A engine to go single or can you take a TT engine single and if so, which is better? Of course most of these answers are based on personal opinion but I figured some of you guys have been around for a while and have seen peoples struggles and could offer me some solid advice.

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Edited by Cerikbok (see edit history)

This would be my choice

Garrett GT35R (around 550hp) or HKS T04Z (around 600hp)

HKS EVC or Blitz SBC iColor

ECU - depends who is going to map it, find a good mapper and go with their preference.

TT 2JZGTE engine and 6spd gearbox.

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

It's quite the contrary, getting parts here is far easier considering most are made in Japan.

For example a TS bumper runs about 240 quid here, we will even give it 300 for a new one. A secondhand TS in the states cost about $900. Largely due to the part that alot of the neat little things you have here in the UK in volume are very rare in the U.S. The car itself being a prime example, an N/A cost like $15k....