The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Valve Stem Seals Replacement (without head off) In Scotland?

Reidy

Hi Guys,

Very much a Lurker here and never really post but i've searched the forum and couldnt find what I was looking for so here I am asking for some advice.

I believe the valve stem seals are away on my car, it's a 93 TT with 65k miles on the clock. I know there is sometimes alot of confusion over wether the the Turbo seals or the VSS are away but I believe mine to definately be Valve stem seals:-

Blue smoke on startup

Blue smoke when idle then blip throttle

Blue smoke on overrun

I am looking at getting them replaced using the the rope trick or air in the cylinder method but unfortunately the mechanic I use will not entertain it without taking the head off, I didnt want to go to this hassle or expense especially since i'm not planning on doing anything to the head or bottom end.

Now I've had a look at Tony license's excellent "How to" on replacing the seals but have to say its waaaay beyond my mechanical skills so I'm looking for a Garage/Mechanic thats quite local to undertake the job. I know Dude at AFR does this for about £5-600 which I think is a very reasonable price but it's a bit of a journey and would prefer not to travel that sort of distance.

So this is probably directed more towards the Scottish member's around the Glasgow/Strathclyde area. Could anyone recommend a Garage that would do the job?

Thanks!

Scott

Blue smoke on startup

Valve stem seals

Blue smoke when idle then blip throttle -

Blue smoke on overrun

Turbo seals.

I've done so much research on this subject that I feel I should have some sort of certificate for it, my findings are as above.

Thanks for that pistonbroke, really cheered us up :D

I'm not saying you are wrong mate and I'm not doubting the amount of research you have put into the matter but it's just everything I that read seemed to point to the Valve Stem Seals.

That's gonna sting if it's the both of them :(

Honestly bud, there is noone up here I would recommend. Personally I would be taking the car down south for a long weekend to get anything major fixed now. If I can't do it myself, it would be down to Dude or Lee.

Just thinking out loud, does Jurgen not take on this kind of work? He is reasonably close.

Honestly bud, there is noone up here I would recommend. Personally I would be taking the car down south for a long weekend to get anything major fixed now. If I can't do it myself, it would be down to Dude or Lee.

Just thinking out loud, does Jurgen not take on this kind of work? He is reasonably close.

Yeah I know what you're saying mate, it's unfortunate we dont have someone like Dude or LeeP up here. I'm not too sure if Jurgen takes on this sort of work and I'm pretty sure he's got a few build's on at the moment including his GTR.

Doesn't Geo live up your way?

He's just had a full single build done by someone who clearly knows what they're doing. Speak to him, whoever can do a good single build, can also do valve stem seals. (though you'll probably be advised to do it properly by taking the head off, decoking the valves etc etc.)

The smoke is just a PITA. It isn't exactly an urgent thing to get done AFAIK. Give him a PM and see what he says :)

Yeah the car still run's perfect, boost's perfect and pull's very strong but it's just annoying when you are pulling away from a light and you see that little puff of blue smoke in your rear view!

Thanks Scott I may drop Jurgen a pm.

Yeah Ian at West Coast Custom, someone did mention he was very good at what he does but quite slow. ahh well its looking like a trip down south in the near future for me then.

Thanks for the help guys!

Yup Ian would do it no problem, he's just moved into a smaller unit though, he is a busy guy, but im sure if you aint in a rush for it you could book it in and wait for it?? He does know his stuff. My car is booked in for 18th May, for disks, belts, fuel pumps, cams if i can get them in time.

Why dont you drive down mate and speak to him, can meet you if you want?

He does take his time with cars, as he wont send out a botched job.

Yup Ian would do it no problem, he's just moved into a smaller unit though, he is a busy guy, but im sure if you aint in a rush for it you could book it in and wait for it?? He does know his stuff. My car is booked in for 18th May, for disks, belts, fuel pumps, cams if i can get them in time.

Why dont you drive down mate and speak to him, can meet you if you want?

He does take his time with cars, as he wont send out a botched job.

It would be a lot better than having to travel but I guess its just how long he would have to keep it for, I know that may better as he could take his time and do a proper job. I'll need to have a think about it mate, might pay him a visit and see what he thinks.

Cheers Geo

P.S New cams? remap? more power on the way? :D

It would be a lot better than having to travel but I guess its just how long he would have to keep it for, I know that may better as he could take his time and do a proper job. I'll need to have a think about it mate, might pay him a visit and see what he thinks.

Cheers Geo

P.S New cams? remap? more power on the way? :D

No worries mate,

Yeah more power dude, looking for the +600 figure. :D Once i hit that, im looking at ripping the interior out and re-doing it.

Just about to start mine mate and I'm not overly clued up on mechanics but I found a great guide on doing it and the cost for doing the rope trick is minimal. Parts cost me about £100 all in including the stem seals and it really only looks time consuming in my opinion. I don't see £500+ as something I would want to spend on something that's just being replaced and isn't going to give me something shiny to polish or a few more horses.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859

No worries mate,

Yeah more power dude, looking for the +600 figure. :D Once i hit that, im looking at ripping the interior out and re-doing it.

I'm guessing you'll be happy with that +600 for a while then you'll be wanting more and more. We'll see a Geo project thread next "going for 1000bhp" you'll be like the Scottish JamieP...I can see it :D

Just about to start mine mate and I'm not overly clued up on mechanics but I found a great guide on doing it and the cost for doing the rope trick is minimal. Parts cost me about £100 all in including the stem seals and it really only looks time consuming in my opinion. I don't see £500+ as something I would want to spend on something that's just being replaced and isn't going to give me something shiny to polish or a few more horses.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=49859

Yeah mate I've already got all the parts needed, it is a cracking guide that but it's just seems a bit too much for myself. It is a pain paying that sort of cash when it seems you're not really getting anything "new" out of it. Anyway a really do wish you the best of luck doing your's, hope everything goes o.k and keep us posted if you can.

The only problem with doing the job without taking the head off is you will not see any other damage ie pitted valve seats etc or play in the valve guides, TBH honest although I will do the job if a customer insists I really cannot reccomend this way of doing it, as we take the engine out to take heads off there are many other little jobs that can be accomplished at the same time for little extra money.

You could try Michel Lane. He is a member on here and works with a guy called Ian. Both excellent at what they do and I would recommend them. They are based near Darlington so not too far to travel. It's where I would head to.

The only problem with doing the job without taking the head off is you will not see any other damage ie pitted valve seats etc or play in the valve guides, TBH honest although I will do the job if a customer insists I really cannot reccomend this way of doing it, as we take the engine out to take heads off there are many other little jobs that can be accomplished at the same time for little extra money.

Yeah Dude everyone seems to be suggesting going with the head off for a complete proper job, to be honest if I'm unlucky and I find out the turbo seal is away aswell it would be better just getting both done at the same time while the engine was out. I may contact you dude just to get a couple of prices mate.

kslb I forgot about Michel Lane, he really knows his stuff and Darlington isnt that far, I've got a mate that stay's in County Durham so that could come in handy, cheers mate.