The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Wheel refurb question ???

DodgyRog

Okay after losing out on the wheels I was after for Japfest,:rolleyes:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=216289

I am considering taking the laquer off the polished lip.

So I have a couple of questions............

If I tape off the cantre area and the tyres, can I use a paint striper carefully to remove the laquer and then a light sand to remove any corrosion marks and then buff and polish them back up ?

Another question is can I then re-laquer with a spray tin laquer or is this a problem, as I have noticed a few people that say they remove the laquer, but have never heard anyone saying they reapply it after.

A couple of pics of the worst part

When I do manage to secure some new wheels, these will be sent off for a full refurb and kept as winter wheels

I had exactly the same but twice as worse, my whole rim was covered with that and i had to use a very rough sandpaper to get it gone. after that i used fine sandpaper and then i gave it a good polish. they look like new now their taken care off :) is 1 or 2 days work.

I had exactly the same but twice as worse, my whole rim was covered with that and i had to use a very rough sandpaper to get it gone. after that i used fine sandpaper and then i gave it a good polish. they look like new now their taken care off :) is 1 or 2 days work.

I take it you didnt use a paint stripper or re-laquer them after then ?

hi mate mine where like that, i just used 400 grit plenty of soapy water [fairy liquid a good squirt] to get the laquer off then 800 w/d then 1200.then an old piece of 1200 using autosol on the 1200 keep it slightly wet you will be amazed at the shine this method produces.

before and after pics

Edited by Dave (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
hi mate mine where like that, i just used 400 grit plenty of soapy water [fairy liquid a good squirt] to get the laquer off then 800 w/d then 1200.then an old piece of 1200 using autosol on the 1200 keep it slightly wet you will be amazed at the shine this method produces.

before and after pics

Sorry just back from Turkey, think I might give it a go over the next couple of days, but did you re laquer them?