The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Why do uk sup tt's cost much more than import's ?

paddy155

I wouldn't say the difference is that big anymore really. For the first time since i have been on this forum there are a number of sub £6k UK auto supra's for sale. If you are talking manual then they generally hold a higher value and always have done due to only a limit amount of them being produced. Uk supra's in general were quite rare as their numbers were just over 600. A i have said lately the price of UK auto TT's have come right now sadly :(

One basic reason, it was made for the UK market. In the general car market, import versions of a car with a UK version tend to be cheaper, history may be harder to prove.

The UK Supra, came at one high spec level, where as the JDM cars were released in several spec levels. However there was also freedom to customise the car with factory additions, so two cars with the same model description, could be very different in equipment levels so it is very hard to compare. There used to be rumour that under sealing on JDM cars was inferior to UK cars. My JDM car is 15 years old, at the last MOT, the tester said the under side of the car was in better condition than some cars coming in for their first MOT after registration.

Recent lower UK TT prices could be reflection the condition of cars used entirely on UK roads. Cars that have been used during every winter may be beginning to suffer.

If you are asking to see if you get a better value car buying UK, this will be an interesting thread;);)

Edited by Terminator (see edit history)

I dont think there is many people that would pay the extra money these days, maybe a little extra but not how it use to be.

Only plus sides i see to a uk car is reported lower insurance and steel turbos if you are going bpu, but even is that really a plus side? the most powerful tt on the ecu register is on ceramic turbos and the fastest over the 1/4 is on ceramic turbos.

The only uk cars i see for sale are vastly over priced and have been for sale for a very long time.

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)

I would say it has more to do with insurance than specs, performance etc. Uks are easily insurable in your early 20s, j-specs tend to be very expensive, making the UK cars very desireable. My UK spec Supra was cheaper to insure than the UK spec S14a 200sx I had before it!

One of the things that drew me to Supras in the first place was how reasonable the insurance was for the performance.

Guest UKSoop

UK's are quicker and have more power - better quality, the JSpec rust underneath as they have not been treated for UK Roads.

Don't listen to the people that say JSpec's have same BHP as UK due to the Japanese regulations keeping BHP under300 bhp etc, they do actually have less BHP.

PS Chav's always drive Jspec's and with a UK it just has that bit more class about it

ahhh so 99% of people on here are chavvy then :D

UK's are quicker = nah

JSpec rust underneath = You would get this done on import

BHP is more on a UK = Debatable (due to the gentlemens agreement)

It must be a cream old mans leather thing

UK's are quicker and have more power - better quality, the JSpec rust underneath as they have not been treated for UK Roads.

Don't listen to the people that say JSpec's have same BHP as UK due to the Japanese regulations keeping BHP under300 bhp etc, they do actually have less BHP.

PS Chav's always drive Jspec's and with a UK it just has that bit more class about it

Btw it's chavs not chav's ;)

Yours truely...an over-educated J-spec (man they're so slow)owning chav :)

You couldn't be more deluded, my jspec has been in the uk for 3 years and not one bit of rust. I use it daily, even got stuck in the snow for 2 days. Lol. The cars are fairly well undersealed. Add to that if you get it waxoiled there solid for life!

I hate import bashers, the cars were made in the same factory side by side so in terms of quailty why would you suggest uks are better, they just got all accessories added. Simples. Plus tbh why would you want leather??? You just slide off!! And looks Shiite.