The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Exhaust and Cat removal

jaymdee

Been trying to decipher this one, but given up and gonna ask.

Are there any replacement exhaust systems which remove the second CAT as well as replacing the back box. Most seem to be CAT-back and require a CAT replacement pipe as well as the new exhaust. (although this may be better for MOT time)

The Blitz web site says that the Spec R "runs from the base of the downpipe back, removing the catalyst on some cars"

Is this system v. loud? If so, can anyone recommend a system which doesn't sound like a fleet of B52's coming down the road?

cheers:conf:

I'm not sure you've decided what you actually want! An exhaust that will replace both in one go (although I think you'll find it will still come in two parts so it can be transport easier), or a back box and cat replacement pipe so you can put the cat back in at MOT time. It should be noted that if you leave the first cat in there's a good chance it will still pass it's MOT, mine does with just the first cat. I've got a HKS Dragger exhaust and HKS cat by-pass pipe, makes a nice rumble but wont set of car alarms, which is just what I wanted in this interfearing old biddy-body street I live down.

so, what are you after again?

Agree that I don't know (yet).

Been looking on the forum today and brain a bit mushed with all the info. I need to look at what's fitted first, but just trying to get a feel for options to start modding car (which I think is standard at the moment).

CAT 2 removal seems a good start, but I might as well get the exhaust done at the same time, so just thinking what the easiest option may be. (new to car-tinkering)

Originally posted by jaymdee

Yeah, I've seen that on the net, but won't that remove BOTH CATs?

yes. if you only want to remove one i would suggest getting a custom one made from the likes of powerflow etc

Best to fit 2 cat pipes, so you can refit the second cat for MOT times, and then choose any cat back system that you fancy. Caveat: I make and sell cat replacement pipes in stainless steel, to replace either or both cats, so I may be seen to have a vested interest, but I am really quite unbiased :D

I also still have a used, stainless, one piece cat pipe for UK spec cars for sale, not one of my making, but usable and 75 quid plus postage.

Originally posted by tango

Hi Chris,

do you known about these engine re-map issue,

mine is a jap TT first UK owner, it runs great, but does it need for re-map in order to run at higer speed without damage the engine?

thanks.

Tango

I have a tried and trusted schedule of mods that give a really worthwhile power increase without danger of engine damage. No re - mapping of a stock ecu is even possible, Various kludges can be externally applied to fool the ecu, but I steer away from all that, too much hassle in my opinion. If you see my sig below it cites contact info, give me a bell and I can talk you through what I recommend, I can do the work or just supply the bits. I am taking a Skyline up to Cumbria next week!