The mkiv Supra Owners Club

J-Spec TT, Traction Control & tings

montezumola

Hi all,

Having ordered my Supra and it being on the slow boat (T minus 8 days!!!) I am looking into what needs doing to it.

The alarm/immobiliser I am considering is either a Cobra or Clifford - which would work better with a Turbo Timer?

Also, do ALL J-Spec TTs come with Traction Control as standard? Is it really pants?? If so, does anyone want to sell me a RLTC unit for an Auto? :thumbs:

Thanks in advance - looking forward to joining the Supra elite!

:cool:

Bye for now

Originally posted by montezumola

do ALL J-Spec TTs come with Traction Control as standard?

Yep
Is it really pants??
Oh yes
If so, does anyone want to sell me a RLTC unit for an Auto?
Are you sure you'll need it? Lots of us manage fine without it

(...so far *touches wood*)

Try BBS members HISUPE and then Mark D for 2nd-hand RLTC

Oh and welcome :)

Hi,

Your best bet as regards to alarm systems would have to be a clifford. Clifford are able to offer many features and will happily work in conjunction with a turbo timer.

Your correct in saying that the standard traction system is as good as it could be. The standard traction system loses you power as it works by closing the throtle. Raclogic offer a good traction system which won't reduce power as it works by cuting the injectors instead of closing the throtle. Vortex Power offer the racelogic traction system in two different packages.

1, Racelogic traction control (supplied only) £535

2, Same as above but a supply & fit package £676

I think this is one of the most important and a well worth mod. you can find info about this at http://www.racelogic.co.uk. or you can search this forum.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Originally posted by questionboy

Your correct in saying that the standard traction system is as good as it could be.

Where did he say that?
Raclogic ...traction system ...won't reduce power as it works by cuting the injectors
What? You mean it works by reducing power by cutting injectors, right?

Depends what kind of driver you are. Leaving aside any macho crap, if you think when the back end steps out you'll be able to catch it and control the power (particularly in the wet), you won't need RLTC. If, like me, you cack your pants when the back steps out then get RLTC. Most Supra accidents seem to relate to the back end catching the driver out, and there are also lots of incidences with the auto of it changing up (or down) in the middle of a corner under power and breaking away the back end unexpectedly.

Remember you can always turn RLTC down so it does less controlling (or even off). You can also put in your own DAT files that are most suited to your driving style.

scooter - it's probably fairer to say it is both a safety feature AND a go-faster in the wet mod. depends on how you use the car. i don't race on public roads (or private for that matter) but have noticed how it helps on wet days. definitely a safety issue for me :)

Originally posted by questionboy

Your correct in saying that the standard traction system is as good as it could be. The standard traction system loses you power as it works by closing the throtle. Raclogic offer a good traction system which won't reduce power as it works by cuting the injectors instead of closing the throtle. Vortex Power offer the racelogic traction system in two different packages.

:conf:

The standard traction control is shite, it could be much better than it is. Although snow mode is quite cool.:)

As Jake has already mentioned cutting fuel throughput to the injectors is reducing the power put down.

I have never found the need for it personally. Oh and as for the alarm thing, I have a Clifford which I was told doesn't like other turbo timers. That said, there are plenty of people on here that have them with Clifford alarms.

I paid an extra £40 when I bought my alarm and had it programmed to act as a turbo timer as well. Had no problems whatsoever. One button activation.

Hope this heps.:)

Welcome too.

I think what Mark meant is that it doesn't kill the engine power dead, in the same way that the stock system does.

As I've said on countless occasions, I love RLTC. IMO it's one of the best things I've put on my Supra. I look at it as a saftey aid primarily, and mostly useful in the rain.

It's not the be all and end all, it can't substitute for poor driver inabilities, (well, it can a bit I suppose), and people do have crashes even though it's fitted, but then again so do F1 drivers!

If I had to start from scratch again now, I'd get UK brakes and RLTC as my first additions.

As for turbo timers, all Cliffords can take an aftermarket turbo timer without too much fuss, and as Steve says, the Clifford can also act as a turbo timer, using a channel output.