The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Choices

Dale B

Hi Guys,

I posted the thread about the VVTi sometime ago (see next thread). Im close to buying a Supra now and have 3 in mind. The first is the VVTi, the secons is a jspec Kreg listed below...

This car is a complete one-off and is a ready-made show car. I guarantee you

wont see another one like it in this country. It is a 1993 K Twin Turbo

Toyota Supra with only 45k genuine miles (BIMTA verified). I am the first

user in this country. I have all the import documentation. The car has a

full Japanese service history and recently had a full service along with a

cambelt change and is fully converted to UK spec. There is very little wear

on all tyres and brakes etc and the car is immaculate, there isn't a mark on

it. It is taxed and MOT'd till 08/04. The car also has a fully comprehensive

warranty on it till the middle of september which should be transferrable.

This car has only been treated to all the very best equipment available for

the Supra. It should currently be making 350-400 bhp on standard boost

without using the boost control and is good for 0-60 in about 4.5 secs and

over 180 mph top speed. The car is an auto with switchable manual controls

and overdrive.

Standard Supras in this kind of condition and this kind of mileage regularly

fetch £15k. This one has over £20k worth of extras and I'm asking £16995 for

it.

Extras include:

Full genuine TRD (Toyota Racing Development)Type-T wide-arch bodykit

including lightweight TRD bonnet and TRD rear spoiler

Full Brembo large brake conversion including calipers and cross-drilled

discs

18" deep dish split-rim alloy wheels with Dunlop Potenza tyres - 295/35/18

at the back!!!

Fully adjustable TEIN suspension all round

HKS super drager exhaust system

Apexi induction kit

Alloy radiator and hosing

Strut brace

BLitz boost control

HKS Turbo Timer

TRD dials

Extra HKS dials (boost gauge, oil temperature/pressure) in HKS housing

in-dash above passenger glove-box

Recaro front seats, leather rear seats

OZ leather steering wheel

Limited Edition Kenwood Z828 mp3 player stereo and 6-disc changer

In-dash pop-out 6" monitor

Multi-region dvd player

Tinted rear windows

Body-coloured headlight covers

Cat 1 alarm/immobiliser

Radar detector

Alloy Pedals

Ths last is a UKspec car.....

Title :- Toyota Supra - 3.0ltr Twin Turbo UK Model - Registered 23--08-1995 ( N reg ) - Demo plus 1 owner from new - Only 32305 miles

Features : Standard

Fantastic Concourse condition

One fastidious owner since 1996.

3.0ltr Twin Turbo.

4 Speed Switch able Automatic transmission

31866 Miles

Full Toyota Service History

12 months MOT included in the sale.

ABS

Astral Black paint with Ivory / Tan Leather Interior - One of the best combinations.

Traction Control - Switch able

Cruise Control

Active Front Spoiler

326BHP

325 IbFt Torque. 90% available from 2000rpm (Thanks god it has traction control)

Limited Slip Differential

HPI Gold Clear. Certificate Included in the Sale

Standard 6 CD Auto-changer -With 6 speakers

Electric Controlled Drivers Seat

G Sensor - To modulate rear brakes, to combat lateral slippage in corners.

F1 style double wishbone suspension front and rear.

Tilt adjustable steering wheel

Speed sensitive power steering

Electric Windows

Heated and electric wing mirrors

Cruise Control

Given the choice and that theyre all about the same money, which would be best to go for with regard to holding value and drivability?

Standard Supra's with that kind of mileage don't go for anywhere near 15K.

I would say that the second one is high priced. It does have a lot of mods listed, which will save you a mint if you planning on doing them anyway. Check for crash damage and other dodgy shenanigans like that:)

I would go for the the UK one myself, it's very low mileage for a UK car. Given a free reign I would go a get a newer J-spec for the same money in standard trim.

The VVTi ones are much harder to do engine mods with.

Depends what mods you are looking doing.:)

All just IMO of course.

Originally posted by Steve W2

The VVTi ones are much harder to do engine mods with.

No they aren't :) Cams are a bastard to find but then they aren't "all that" with turbo tuning anyway, apart from that it's as 'easy' as a non-vvti.

(sorry Steve, I'm not hunting you down I promise :) )

-Ian

In order of my preferences

1. Get a VVTi if you are intending this to always have less than 700bhp...

2. Get the UK if insurance costs are important.

3. The K reg car is over priced and best left alone. But if it has all the mods you want then get it. But it will need more maintanence than the other 2 as its older.

the first one sounds dodgy as to me, if a j spec hadnt been run at high boost, why would it need a boost controller???

do you have a pic of it? if its got a TRD wide kit on then it will be V rare, less than 10 in the country i'd say.

and if the second is £16K thats expensive, even for a low miles UK, you could get a low milage UK manu for £13-14 K easy if you keep scouring auto trader,

heres pics of the tuned jspec

http://www.silent-troopers.co.uk/supra/sup1.jpg

http://www.silent-troopers.co.uk/supra/sup2.jpg

http://www.silent-troopers.co.uk/supra/sup3.jpg

http://www.silent-troopers.co.uk/supra/sup4.jpg

Shame you're so far away up north because in South London there's a nice Dec '98 VVTi tiptronic car, 41000 miles, with UK brakes, Mania alloys, Nur Spec, FMIC, boost controller, Cat 1, all bills, that could probably be bought for around the same price.

When I was looking it was about 2 grand more, but I think that they've realised that if they want to sell it they've got to be a bit more realistic with the price.

On a short test drive it drove well, maybe worth a look.

PM me if you want the number

Gotta say, it does look tidy. But you can't really tell from photo's, got to get down there, see how it drives and what it looks like.

Oh, and listen to Ian C and Alex over me when it comes to tuning as they know there stuff (apparently:D ).

I was under the impression that they were harder to tune due to the extra electronic gizmo's they have, I stand corrected.

Good luck with your search:)

i remember that wideboy being sold about a year ago, theres a thread about it somewhere...

wonder why theyre selling it on so quick???

:innocent:

i'd deffo go for a later model supe if you have the money, its not just milage that effects the relyability of a car, its age as well, and how its been used, a 3 mile journey twice a day does alot more damage than a 30 mile one!!!

Get as new a supe as you can afford then mod it yourself, pumping all your hard earned wages into personalising your supe is half the fun of owning one!!!!:thumbs:

The red TRD one has been on the trader for ages, it was imported through dealer last year and was priced for around 13.5k im guessing the private buyer bought it hoping to make a few k on it, doesnt seem to have worked yet though!

personally i wouldnt buy a ready tuned one, i know it will save you money but i prefer to know things have been done properly :)

i notice your in darlington, i have a uk one, sounds identical to the third one your desciribing, can meet up sometime and you can have a look and a chat, im not an expert but could point you in the general direction of what to look for

Chris

Originally posted by albundy68

i'd deffo go for a later model supe if you have the money, its not just milage that effects the relyability of a car, its age as well, and how its been used, a 3 mile journey twice a day does alot more damage than a 30 mile one!!!

How does that work then? I know a 3 mile journey isnt long enough to get the engine warmed and the oils at the correct viscocity, but that happens for the first 3 miles of your 30 mile journey anyway.

The only differnece is you are probably driving an extra few mile on top of that before the engine has warmed up properly.

Originally posted by DarkCynic

Hi boneyard, why not have a look at my Supra - For sale in Bishop Auckland. I've only just put the website together prior to putting it on autotrader. Open to offers for a quick local sale.

http://www.k55bye.co.uk

I'll be putting it on the for sale section of this forum too, once i've figured out nochex for my membership.

Hi.. Darkcynic. Nice looking car, what sort of money u looking for?. Bearing in mind theres a 1999 VVTi on Autotrader for £14995.

Originally posted by ChrisB

personally i wouldnt buy a ready tuned one, i know it will save you money but i prefer to know things have been done properly :)

i notice your in darlington, i have a uk one, sounds identical to the third one your desciribing, can meet up sometime and you can have a look and a chat, im not an expert but could point you in the general direction of what to look for

Chris

Thanks Chris, I might take you up on that meet. Ill PM you if and when :-)