The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Chasing Power - When Will It End?

jevansio

Has anyone reached a power level for their car and actually found it's enough & has been so for some time?

When I got the T67 and had Ryan set it upto 1.6BAR it was feckin mental, felt scary, I though it would be more than enough, 4th gear pull gave me that funny feeling in my tummy.

Now it's been a couple of weeks (yeah not even a year or anything), & the feeling of exhileration is wearing off.

If I didn't have my Performance Monitor to guestimate rwhp figures I'd swear it was getting slower.

But what's next after a T67 Billet?, do you go JP style with a T76?, is he going to find that rather mundane after a while @ 1000bhp? Will anyone EVER get sick of 1000bhp?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone reached a power level for their car and actually found it's enough & has been so for some time?

Me :)

It's 550 to 600 depending on the dyno and the time of day/alignment of planets. Who cares what the exact number is, it's crazy fast, and proven as I kept up with a Carrera GT once :cool: A great balance between lag, drivability, and raw :wtf: It's been like that since I fitted the T67DBB about what, 4 years ago? I have no interest in chasing bigger numbers, as it's crazy money, you lose in other areas, and things just start breaking all the time.

Edit - 12th May 2006 was when I posted the results, so yeah, 4 years

It's 550 to 600 depending on the dyno and the time of day/alignment of planets. Who cares what the exact number is, it's crazy fast, and proven as I kept up with a Carrera GT once :cool: A great balance between lag, drivability, and raw :wtf: It's been like that since I fitted the T67DBB about what, 4 years ago? I have no interest in chasing bigger numbers, as it's crazy money, you lose in other areas, and things just start breaking all the time.

Me too, 610 bhp and rock solid reliability. (but then I am getting old!)

If money is no object then carry on, keep replacing new turbos, manifolds, injectors etc in the chase of more power will take its toll on the savings. Me personally will not go larger once my car is finished. If you do drag race like Titan, BL etc you'll never get enough bhp, always chasing the next tenth of a sec down the track.

You are a special man Ian :D, like you I LOVE the all round performance of the T67, it is a perfectly balanced turbo for most Supra owners (wish I had gone with it before 2 x GT4088Rs), 1.4 BAR @ 3.5k beats the stock twins response and high 600bhp is enough to keep most road cars at bay, but I have an awefull feeling that within a year I'll be hankering for more

You realise I'm going to quote your post at some point Scott when you're chasing 600 :D

Me too' date=' 610 bhp and rock solid reliability. (but then I am getting old!)[/quote']

Lol, I too had that same sentiment Charlie, was at a point where I thought the Supra was too much & I was maybe past the speed, but after my new head & the feeling of rock solidness I'm getting from the car at the mo, a couple of runs out & I'm loving it again.... wanting more

You are a special man Ian :D, like you I LOVE the all round performance of the T67, it is a perfectly balanced turbo for most Supra owners (wish I had gone with it before 2 x GT4088Rs), 1.4 BAR @ 3.5k beats the stock twins response and high 600bhp is enough to keep most road cars at bay, but I have an awefull feeling that within a year I'll be hankering for more

You realise I'm going to quote your post at some point Scott when you're chasing 600 :D

You now have me thinking of a T67. I have always been a GT35r man too. I think I would loose 300rpm for full boost but that is nothing and it would be nice to have the nice round 600 figure :p

TBH I know around 550 would be plenty for me, 600 would only be a goal just to say I had it :D

If money is no object then carry on, keep replacing new turbos, manifolds, injectors etc in the chase of more power will take its toll on the savings. Me personally will not go larger once my car is finished. If you do drag race like Titan, BL etc you'll never get enough bhp, always chasing the next tenth of a sec down the track.

Money is an object, it is for everyone, I have no savings, I earn & I blow :D

I'm not a drag racer, I don't want power for the strip, I'm not chasing 1/10ths off my time, the car is there to keep me exhilerated, you need something in your life to make you feel alive & for me it's the Supra, I just wonder if there is a power level that is ALWAYS going to make you shit your pants when you get in the car :D

I love the rush, I can see myself going GT47-88 and 3.4 next year.

I got scared into thinking big turbos was not streetable, what a load of bollox that is.

I'd be jacking my account in here if you said anything less!

Edit - 12th May 2006 was when I posted the results, so yeah, 4 years

spot on, after 4 years as well i still find a 1.4 bar pull a buzz with my paltry 500hp, i will add to this figure this year but for me there is one key word in Ians post "drivability", maybe its the fact that i am probably a bit older than most on here but i dont have the desire to rag the arse off the car everytime i get in it, so when i do hit the loud pedal i still enjoy it, perhaps you need to go "cold turkey" and limit yourself to one rag a week :D

My singles going in around June time when LeeP has the room to squeeze me in.

I'm hoping for around 620+hp and I think that should be enough for me.

I like all the high bhp figures coming out at the moment Lee,Jamie and Wayne but it's out my price range to build and maintain a 750-1000hp supra I will leave it to the big boys for now.

You are a special man Ian :D

I'm sure you mean that nicely ;)

I love the rush, I can see myself going GT47-88 and 3.4 next year.

I got scared into thinking big turbos was not streetable, what a load of bollox that is.

It's horses for courses. I personally would probably find a bigger turbo a pain in the backside due to a lower response, but that's my driving style. I remember being out in Ben's car while mapping it, and he'd sit at three, three and a half thousand revs while tootling along in traffic. Excellent throttle and boost response at those revs, but I'd be going quietly insane in the passenger seat, willing him to change up at least two gears :D I tend to sit at 1500 to 2000rpm in traffic!

So having the ability to trickle around like that and still get some boost response in 6th at 60mph, and yet also have the ability to smoke the tyres in the first three gears is the perfect balance for me.

After driving JB's T61 a while back, the faster boost response made me think about downsizing to a T61DBB or equivalent! But, when it came down to it, the T61 just doesn't deliver the raw visceral shove of the 67, I'd miss it too much :D So I guess I struck lucky, personally.

more than happy with my T61 for the past 2 years, plenty of power, amazing noise at WOT and plenty of torque as a daily driver - shame about the 17mpg London city fuel economy though :)

If I was tracking my car, then perhaps more power would do, for public roads what I have is MORE than sufficient.

he'd sit at three, three and a half thousand revs while tootling along in traffic. Excellent throttle and boost response at those revs, but I'd be going quietly insane in the passenger seat, willing him to change up at least two gears I tend to sit at 1500 to 2000rpm in traffic!

:thumbs: - that would drive me mad too. 1500-2000 here too.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

You'll piss yourselfs at this BUT i'm man enough to admit it... theres still some moments where my NA scares me! And if it wasn't for the noise and the Tishhhh i'd probably stick with what i've got! :D

Slate away!

im with you at the moment dude, im happy with what i got and its fast enough for me

TBH I know around 550 would be plenty for me, 600 would only be a goal just to say I had it :D

I'm waffling on a bit here now, forgive me I'm on nightshift and also this subject fascinates me.

So yeah, I got the car dyno'd at SCA in Norwich, nice bunch, good dyno setup. It came out at 631bhp. I got it dyno'd at SRR and it was 585bhp. ohnoes, a 50bhp drop? A difference in readings? Which is true? Well, who cares? I bloody don't, it's still the same car! It's still just as fast, I just get to say "around 600bhp" which is nice, I don't think anyone will give me too hard a time about that.

So my roundabout point is, pick a setup, pick a max boost pressure, get it mapped safely for that and see if you like the way it drives. Right at the end of all that, get a power figure. It won't change anything, especially the "see if you like the way it drives" bit.

I'm waffling on a bit here now, forgive me I'm on nightshift and also this subject fascinates me.

So yeah, I got the car dyno'd at SCA in Norwich, nice bunch, good dyno setup. It came out at 631bhp. I got it dyno'd at SRR and it was 585bhp. ohnoes, a 50bhp drop? A difference in readings? Which is true? Well, who cares? I bloody don't, it's still the same car! It's still just as fast, I just get to say "around 600bhp" which is nice, I don't think anyone will give me too hard a time about that.

So my roundabout point is, pick a setup, pick a max boost pressure, get it mapped safely for that and see if you like the way it drives. Right at the end of all that, get a power figure. It won't change anything, especially the "see if you like the way it drives" bit.

I know mate, and I totally agree with everything you said.

I would honestly be happy with an SRR 550. For the pub talk I COULD just say around 600 but it would be nice to have an SRR dyno print to prove it.

I don't know, I guess it feels that each 100hp is a milestone.

It's horses for courses. I personally would probably find a bigger turbo a pain in the backside due to a lower response

Thats what i was worried about when going bigger but i was wrong to worry.

If you raise the rev limit all is good imo, i honestly think you would be shocked at how nice mine is to drive, i have a bigger powerband now than when i did when i was on a 67mm turbo.

This is a great question.

I drove round with stock J spec tubbies for 8 years thinking - oh it's quite quick. Went BPU 2 years ago and thought...mmm it's quicker...does single or HKS twins beckon? Probably.

One thing though. I spend most of my week driving around in my 12 year old 1.7|Tdi Astra and as soon as I step in to the Supra - it still delights me.

Yours sincerely

Mr Easily Pleased

Hertfordshire.

If you raise the rev limit all is good imo, i honestly think you would be shocked at how nice mine is to drive, i have a bigger powerband now than when i did when i was on a 67mm turbo.

I think people go over the top with their streetable comments. 4krpm is still absolutely fine for driving on the street, especially if you have another 4k to go.

The thing is Jamie, before 4krpm it is going to be fairly gutless? No? Granted after that your car will be like a rocket but a TT gives a nice bit of pull after 2.5krpm.

Your car wouldn't be effortless to drive. The most effortless car I have driven is my mates TDi Cupra. The thing pulls like a train from 1.5krpm and is an absolute dream on the motorway etc. You either have to drive above 4k rpm constantly (clearly not an issue for you lol), or wait patiently with the foot to the floor for things to happen.... this isn't effortless to me.

It took me ages to get used to TTC because my car is gutless till 3.5krpm. I would love the lower torque of a diesel with the upper power of a single. Granted it won't happen, and getting the balance right between the 2 is the compromise.

Your compromise is next to nothing for 4k then all hell breaking loose for 4k. Mine is nothing till 3k then going like the clappers for 4k.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

I agree, that rev limit would make a lot of difference. But right now my car costs £0 to get it to a T67DBB with 600bhpish :D I've chucked enough money at it, I want a Dodge Challenger now :sly: