The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supra sequential boost system - Need help

The-Plethora

Firstly I am hoping I can collar a few of you at the wheels in motion day for a few pointers, if theres no ideas I hope someone can point me in the right direction :)

When I bought the Supra it had been switched to true twin turbo due to a faulty IAC valve I understand. This hasnt been a huge issue personally but I would like to have the option of going back to sequential, the electronic switch between parallel and sequential would be ideal long term for fuel savings / power.

I seem to have a boost shunt (stop) if I run full boost for a few seconds, I know this is generally if boost reaches over 1bar for a certain amount of time but my guage reckons I am nowhere near it.

As always I know my limits when tinkering and dont want anything to go bang so I would prefer to hand this over to someone in the know.

If I get hold of a second hand or even brand new IACV (£400+) is there anyone on the forum who could sort my turbo system? I seem to be missing several pipes not needed when running TTC and I want to get it all sorted and back to stock.

Is this the sort of thing Ryan or any of the traders would deal with at not too scary a price?

Cheers for the help all and see you at wheels in motion.:)

Dave

There are plenty of people and traders on here that can sort your problem bud.

The problem I've heard with running TTC is that the stock fuel map does not cater for the change in boost characteristics, If I were in your shoes though, seeing as the IAC valve is so expesive, I may be more inclined to get a standalone (piggy back) fuel computer to properly map the car for TTC and be done with it. If you then decide to go BPU later on, you'll get more out of it with the ability to control the fuelling ;)

Might take you up on that swampy!

Here is the original post by Jim the previous owner with his boost issue that caused the switch to TTC if that helps anyone.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=201028

Yes the IACV seems to be a hugely expensive bit of kit from what I have seen, especially as there is not much to it but unsure if it is possible to service one.

Are these piggyback ECUs also around the £400 price range?, presume thats without fitting also ? remember I am very much a novice ;)

Ryan will charge roughly £800 and thats the ecu, fitting it, and remapping it on the rolling road. He did 2 maps for me one in sequentual mode and one in ttc, we both agreed that the ttc mode is more suited to my car. He also has kept the sequential map on his computer so it can be uploaded to the ecu if i decide to change. So basically you do get alot for your money. Sorry about the essay lol

I dont doubt Ryans work for a second but not sure I can lay my hands on that much at the moment. I think I have about £500 left on the credit card before Barclays tell me to piss off :(

Maybe best to let you guys have a look on the day and see what you all think, vacuum hoses and other bits I need to think about. I presume if I go with plan A and get the IAC I just need to reset the ECU, drive it about a while for the ECU to adjust and I am good to go as it would be back to how it should be? This is my first supra and the only one I have driven so I dont really have a basis for comparrison I do like how it makes people go "jeeez" when both turbos suddenly kick in unexpectadly though :)