The mkiv Supra Owners Club

People who have AP Brakes - How do you rate them?

jevansio

Just wanted to get some feedback on people with the AP Racing 6 pot fronts on how they feel compared to UK's if possible?

Have you had any issues with the brakes?

How are the pads that come with the kit as stock?

I was told maybe that warping may be an issue, does that mean that when I come to replace the rotors I can buy ones that are floating and the floating bolts to help ease this?

ta

Jay,

I went from Toyota 4-Pot fronts with Project Mu Pads & Discs to the AP 6-Pot upgrade and I found the AP's to be much more responsive under light to medium braking conditions.

I have only done about 120-miles on them so far, hence the reason why I couldn't comment on the all-out performance capability of the system.

As a footnote but I read an article recently that mentioned the performance capabilities of the AP's, Brembos, Alcons, Greddys, etc, and it said that Toyota 4-Pot brakes with uprated pads has one of the best friction ratings on the market; better than the standard AP's and Brembos by all accounts.

Not a supra but i had 6 pot AP's fitted front and back on my Monaro by vauxhall, i warpped two sets of front discs in short time, Vauxhall was good about it though and replaced them both times.

I also had AP 6 pots fitted to my EVO 9, never had a problem with them ones.

They are excellent brakes, albeit the calipers in the kit are considered "budget calipers" by AP and they are not anything like the same as their proper race calipers. Don't get hung up on six or the latest fad, eight piston calipers. The only advantage of multiple staggered size pistons is reduction of pad taper wear. I would always choose a good adequately sized 4 pot race caliper over a six pot if taper wear wasn't an issue, as they are usually lighter, cheaper to service and cheaper to buy. Having said that I usually make my own kits up using calipers and discs that I either have acquired from other cars, or from Ebay or the race parts sale sites. If you don't have the time, knowledge or facilities to do your own kits paying someone else will be a lot more expensive than most of the shelf specific kits. Floating discs are virtually essential on tracked road cars as the uprights, spindles and hubs on 99% of road cars are so floppy pad knock back and disc cracking is a real problem unless the disc can do its own thing relative to the caliper.

many thanks for the replys guys, I have already bought the APs but just wanted to know before they arrived if I was going to be pleased with them

Chris, if I find warping is an issue, can I just buy rotors & bolts the next time to turn them into a floating setup, or am I over simplifying things?

One word: Awesome.

Three trackdays and a couple of thousand miles so far, zero issues. Never faded (unlike my old UK spec 4pots), never juddered, pad wear is good so far (Porterfield pads). They came with Ferodo DS2500 pads on the wifes Subaru kit - OK pads but REALLY dusty.

If they do a bobbins in disc equivalent rotor for them, yes. You would need the bobbins and bolt kits for both discs, and the correct discs. A good look through the AP Racing catalogue should give you an answer. I have some new high quality pads for the AP six pot calipers, in both fast road and proper race compounds, in fairly large quantities for the race compounds, as it's a popular pad shape they used. :)

Actually, there is one small complaint I have about mine - they are almost too good...Now bear in mind I am running T1Rs in 235 section at the front, but these brakes can overpower those quite easily at 3 figure speeds on track, so the ABS often goes nuts. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I upsize the tyres to 255s, or use triple 8s.

Actually, there is one small complaint I have about mine - they are almost too good...Now bear in mind I am running T1Rs in 235 section at the front, but these brakes can overpower those quite easily at 3 figure speeds on track, so the ABS often goes nuts. It'll be interesting to see what happens when I upsize the tyres to 255s, or use triple 8s.

I think you've put my mind at rest now, I run R888 255s so will let you know when they turn up :)

• 2 months later...

Well AP are doing my heed right in over these, it's at least 10 weeks since I ordered, I thought I'd buy UK after a bad experience from the US and well to help the UK economy really, starting to wish I'd gone from a set of Brembos from Dusty now, bunch of muppets, no wonder the UK economy is going down the pan

AP are either dead slow or stop, tell me about it. They are in bed with Brembo anyway, so they aren't much better. Problem is they make the finest calipers, discs and clutches, so we are stuck with them :) I have some sets of new race and fast road pads for the AP fronts.... Cheap! The pads they (eventually) come with are awful.

They used to come with some Z rated pad that had no real bite. DS2500 are OK until you try a Performance Friction carbon pad, now they are stunning.

would it be OK to use those pads on stock Toyota rotors or would it result in premature wear and warping?

imi

Edited by imi (see edit history)

They are very kind to discs, but PF stopped making them for the UK calipers years ago, I think Wez had the last ones I found. Someone, somewhere will have old stock, depends on how many calls to the US you are willing to make. You could probably have them water cut from a bigger pad if you were keen enough.

Was hoping they'd come with the Ds2500's Chris, are they that bad? Will be in touch if they are

Horrible pads - they work OK, once they're FINALLY bedded in, but they so unbelievably dusty. The dust has totally wrecked the wheels on the missus Subaru. AP kits propably come with AP formula pads now - their own brand stuff.

I've been using Porterfields on my APs - pretty good I think. Haven't tried the PFs.

10 weeks is seriously lame delivery though!