The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Life after the Supra - MK1 Golf GTi project

j_jza80

I've had a few cars since getting rid of my Supra, but at last I think i've found one that I thoroughly enjoy :)

Picked this up on Ebay for a very good price

I picked up the car last Saturday (The 24th of April, 2010) after winning it on Ebay. This is the Ebay description of the car;

MK 1 Golf GTI

I have for sale my golf gti this has had thousands spent on it with reciepts to prove and 2 sets of keys.

Its in Mars red with a black leather interior, which on the drivers seat the stitching has slightly come undone and they are slightly worn as in the pics.

It has the original grill with new red trim and new badge,there is a debadged 5 bar grill with the car.

I have a brand new tailgate sticker set to be fitted which also comes with it and a set of clear rear lights.

It has a set of Ronal Turbo alloys in nearly as new condition with Yokohama tyres fitted.

The bodywork is in excellent condition seeing as its 27 years old the bonnet has some stone chips and marks,there is some lacquer pealing on the drivers door.There are no holes severe rust or anything on the car and it has been waxoiled and undersealed regulary.

It has a full length wabasto style sunroof with 2 little splits in but does not leak.

It has clear crystal headlights fitted.

The engine is in excellent condition with a dyno sheet showing 165bhp @ the flywheel,it has a ported head with performance cam with receipt.Full stainless exhaust and 4 branch manifold.New mocal oil cooler fitted,just serviced including,timing belt,rocker gasket,battery and rear shoes and cylinders.

There is a adjustable quick shift fitted, and every suspension bush and engine mount has been changed to polybush motorspoprt ones.There are front and rear strut braces.

The front brakes have a big disc conversion using grooved discs.All hoses are changed for braided stainless steel goodridge ones.

It is fitted with a set off vipertech suspension which has lifetime warrenty and i have the receipt to prove.

All in all this is a excellent classic golf gti which are getting hard to find good ones now,viewing is essential to really appreciate it.Any questions dont hesitate to ask.

Bidding is to buy do not bid to haggle or not pay.

It has 200k on the clock, but has reciepts for alot of the service history, and all of the modifications. Almost every mechanical part of the car has either been refurbished, replaced or improved.

So basically, i'm quite happy with it, certainly mechanically, for the time being. It drives complete;y straight, and feels fresh.

This only leaves me with some cosmetic work i'm wishing to carry out.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I decided to attack the interior first. It's a full leather interior. Not sure if it was original, retrimmed or taken from a Cabbie or similar. It's definately old, cracked and faded. I like the cracked effect, as it's in keeping with the age of the car, and gives the leather charachter. I wasn't so keen on the brown wear.

Anyway, this is how it looked;

And after a bit of black saddle dye, and alot of elbow grease :)

I also decided to change the headlights and indicators, as I thought I could do a better job than had been done before. It had been fitted with Crystal headlights, and clear indicators, as below;

A quick call to Venom Motorsport had a set of Crosshair headlights with smoked, refracted lenses, and a set of Dark smoke indicators on thier way. I've just fitted these this morning, and think they make quite a difference;

Next on my agenda are smoked/red rear lights, although these seem to be hard to come by.

Very nice, the front lights look a lot better - what's the deal with the crosshairs though, can't say I've seen that before.

Seems like you've picked up a cracking example to enhance and that work on the interior has transformed it, any issues with the black rubbing off on clothing or is it there to stay once dry?

Looks nice, I had a mk1 gti many years ago, aint the tailgates supposed to be black round the glass? On a classic like that id go with stock front indicators and rear lights if it was me, smoked indicators and red lights sound a little chav to me.:)

Very nice, the front lights look a lot better - what's the deal with the crosshairs though, can't say I've seen that before.

They're just an aftermarket thing that are popular with some of the VW boys. They're available with crystal clear lenses too but I think crystal lenses ruin the look of the car.

Seems like you've picked up a cracking example to enhance and that work on the interior has transformed it, any issues with the black rubbing off on clothing or is it there to stay once dry?

No, I looked for a while before deciding on this one. It's called 'Fiebings' and is a renowned dye for horse saddles, which obviously experience a fair amout of wear.

Looks nice, I had a mk1 gti many years ago, aint the tailgates supposed to be black round the glass? On a classic like that id go with stock front indicators and rear lights if it was me, smoked indicators and red lights sound a little chav to me.:)

Yeah, got a brand new OEM tailgate sticker sat in my garage, but not decided wether i'm going to fit it or not yet.

The rear lights i'm going for are a genuine VW part, they're just very hard to get hold of. There's a set on German Ebay for £250!

Decided against orange indicators as there's no other orange on the car (they pre-date side repeaters :) )

Nice car mate, love the mk 1's. Can i ask where you picked it up from? The only reason i ask is that it looks familiar somehow (got a few friends in the VW 'scene')

I got it from a chap who lives in Chapel en le Frith in Derbyshire, and very close to snake road (fantastic driving road BTW)

It was also a good excuse to go exploring, more on that in another thread shortly.

very nice little car mate

a friend has a big bumper mk2 sitting with full vr6 conversion done, engine just needs rewired up, has been sitting like that for about 4 years in his garage.

Thinking about offering him a bad price on it see if he will let her go.

aways liked the eyebrow spoiler on the mk1

Had one identical back in 84. Nowt to touch it on the road at the time (not by me anyway).

Whats really amazing is that VW still produce this shell today in S Africa and you can buy a brand new one for about £3000- though not the GTi!

Production in south Africa has just ended :( such a shame. Also only came as a 5 door.

I love it, theres some amazing cars on this site but when I opened this thread it made me say f*cking hell thats awesome!

Looks to be in great condition for its age, would be good if you could get the seats re-trimmed eventually long term as close to stock as possible. Keep us updated.

Just take it back to stock ;)

It's a classic :)

Was going to fit some BBS RAs from a MK2 GTi, but the Ronals have really grown on me. Love the look of the P-Slots too but they're a bit thin.

I do like the look of stock MK1s, but I wouldn't be able to cope with the performance (or lack there of)

I'm not going to make the car immaculate (at least for the time being) as she's my daily. Going to make sure she's kept in good, usable condition though.

Love the MK1 GTI, I remember them when they were new :D

A true legend and a chef friend of mine had a white GTI cab when I was 19, he lent it to me for a weekend while he was away on holiday, loved every second of it, could not afford one then

I have just bid on a white GTI MK1 cab based on this very post :)