The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gutted - rip tnt

TNT

Hi there, kept a bit quiet for a few weeks but just learnt that the car is a total insurance write off following a crash on Easter Monday. As you can imagine we (me and Ryan) are absolutely gutted given all the love and money we have put into it. We were driving down a country lane at about 45mph when we hit a pothole/cavern on a corner which measured 4ft long, 2 foot wide and 8 inches deep which threw the car onto a grass verge and into a group of small trees and bushes, it wasn't possible to avoid it because a van was travelling in the opposite direction. We have put in a claim to Council and can only cross our fingers. The internet has mixed reports on successful claims depending on the circumstances. We have plenty of photo's and a police report. Police were pretty decent and parked over the hole until road maintenance came and filled it, albeit a bit late! We have looked at whether we buy another Supra but I don't feel I want to go down that road again (no puns please). We would still like to stay in the club and attend events in whatever we end up with. Always fancied an Alpina B3.3 which might be fun. Hope to still see you at future events. Steve

P050410_12.02_[01].jpg

P050410_12.00_[01].jpg

Fair bit of damage underneath and on front end. They did offer to sell me it back but to be honest it would have cost too much and without any real mechanical know how I was concerned it would just lie on the driveway. Can't tell you how gutted I was having to walk away from it knowing it was going to salvage.

oh crap! Really sorry to hear this. Yours was a very nice Supra

Good luck with the claim. The hole looks very nasty. Just think of the damage to a biker should he/she of hit that :(

TNT you may want to use that comment by Ed in your evidence against the council. I had a small claim against Wigan Council about 5 years ago. I got a solicitor who represents the council telling me that as they had examined the road in the last 12 months they weren't legally responsible for the sudden appearance of the pothole......:blink:

I ruined my 18" alloys on a Renault Laguna and it cost me about £250 to get a new wheel, balancing and tyre monitors reset etc. In the end I did not persue the claim due to this solicitors "smoke screen". I now wish I had followed this through tbh..!!

Good luck with your case.....;)

H.

Gutted Steve, your car was lovely. :(

Have you investigated buying it back? If you should choose to buy another Supra, at least you could move the interior over.

Hopefully we'll see you at Supra Pod, whatever you happen to be driving!

Thanks for advice on claiming. The assessor from Direct Line was very reasonable in the end and I suppose I should be satisfied, albeit it that we have still lost a hell of a lot in terms of whats spent but then we all go down that route with that in mind. The key thing was that every single bit of work whether it was cosmetic or mechanical was declared on the insurance which certainly effected the final valuation. The only down side was that when you declare the modifications it bumps up the excess but if you don't want to lose out I would urge everyone to make sure mods are declared and appear on the schedule of insurance. The car is now in the hands of Direct Line and released to the salvage company, I dare say it may well appear somewhere in the future. The comment about the danger to bikers is a very valid one. Direct Line have appointed a solicitor to act on my behalf, covered by legal insurance on the policy so we will see how things develop.

Sorry to hear about this, such a shame.

You should find out the price for purchasing it back from the insurers and weigh up what is valuable on the car as you could sell off the parts, interior, exhaust, rear lights etc. Could prove financially viable (dependant on the cost of course)

But again, sorry to hear about the incident - Glad everyone is OK.

Edited by Fitz (see edit history)

Thanks Steve, can't tell you how gutted we are, Ryan's been consoling himself looking at pictures of Llandow and Santa Pod. Who knows, maybe we'll end up with another Supe, never say never. We'll make the effort to get to an event either way, maybe my lad will lend us his Mustang!

Ok, and Im purely devils advocate here, but driving over that hole in the road, at the stated speed wouldnt cause you to pile off the road. Theres worse holes in the roads round where I work and I havent crashed.

I feel your pain though

Swampy, for sure, your obviously a better driver than me. Do yourself a favour though, report the holes in your area so that others less fortunate don't suffer.

Nooooooo, what have you done to my old NA :( :(

Really sorry to read this Mate, That pot hole is rediculous. Dont take any crap from the council on that one, you want to throw everything at them over that including putting yours and your sons life in danger!