The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Calling Aerotop Owners

Castle

I've only ever had mine come loose once on their own, and I never graunch mine up really tight in case I strip one. Firm hand tight seems to do the trick.

What sequence do you tighten the bolts in? Funnily enough I was with a couple of aerotop owners at the weekend and we all agreed that you should tighten the rear two last.

Personally, I start each screw a few threads, starting with the fronts then the rears, then I go round each one again fully tightening them.

Originally posted by Darren Blake

Personally, I start each screw a few threads, starting with the fronts then the rears, then I go round each one again fully tightening them.

exactly what i do too ...... :)

i was wondering if there was a specific order the bolts should be done, but it seems we're all a bit random in our fitting methods.

Mines been in and out alot recently (new aero owner keenness!) and it seems to me that you can do them up really tight but a mile or so down the road they can be loose. I just put it down to it 'settling' and once retightened (once or twice) it then seems to be fine indefinitely?

Originally posted by Roy

mine does tend to loosen a bit after a while. i wrap the bolts in that white thin sticky tape and then really tighten them ....... HTH.

:)

Not that I've got an aerotop but thats gotta be the best solution:)

Pointless fact:- The stuff is PTFE (PolyTetra Fluoro Ethylene);)

There is a right and a wrong order in which to do these up.

Mine has a sticker in the centre console glovebox showing what the order should be, I'll take a look later.

I normally do them up centre first, both fronts then both rears. I tighten them up finger tight first and then go round and pinch them up tight.

I know I've only just got this particular car, so not really had a problem, but even with our last aerotop they never loosened up at all.

You want the PTFE tape - found in the plumbing sections of DIY stores.

Mine never needed it always stayed tight.

There is a diagram either on the underside of the glove box cubby lid or on the aero tool which gives the correct order for tightening them up...................

The UK owners handbook has instructions on how to fix in the aerotop even though they were never sold in the UK.

Also, I seem to recall that the handbook and the sticker in the car itself contradict each other about the proper order. I'll check tonight...

Originally posted by Soop Dogg

There is a right and a wrong order in which to do these up.

Mine has a sticker in the centre console glovebox showing what the order should be, I'll take a look later.

so there is! i never saw that before......

order per the diagram is centre then

drivers front

pass front

drivers rear

pass rear

still think it might need tightening after a little while, as i remember DangerousBrain saying he couldn't even fit his roof in the top one time when he was on uneven ground, so i presume you could get this effect to a lesser degree and therefore screw up the roof tight only for it to be loose soon after driving away.

Mine occasionally work loose after a bit of spirited driving. Not too badly but enough for the roof to start creaking. Once I nip them up again I don't usually have a problem till next time I remove and refit the roof.

I don't think I have the proper tool though, the bloke I bought it off gave me a spanner and something that looks like a straight allen key with a rubber bung on it. I put the allen key bit into the screw and use the spanner to turn it.

I think the ptfe tape would be a good idea, I might have to give that a go if mine gets any worse.

Matt

Originally posted by AeroMatt

I don't think I have the proper tool though, the bloke I bought it off gave me a spanner and something that looks like a straight allen key with a rubber bung on it. I put the allen key bit into the screw and use the spanner to turn it.

Believe it or not that is the official Toyota tool for the job. :conf: