The mkiv Supra Owners Club

1st decat options, which one?

Robzki

Hi all

Finally got round to fitting my 2nd decat and catback with Sard sports cat. sounds absolutely stunning etc :) just a nice burble, not much more than stock. just a nicer sound.

I realise that I need to fit the 1st decat soon and I've gone about it ar$e about face. I just needed to get it fitted out of necessity as the original had started to blow. I didn't fit the 1st decat as I need to obtain the egt/afr sensors(pm me if you have them) I also fully understand the egt will be in the wrong place.......

I have somehow managed to get 2x 1st decats 'in stock' and wondered if they were the right ones for a tt, and also which one to fit. 1 of them has a flexi and says for race use only. can't really see the reason for the flexi as it will be solid mounted to the manifold and the gearbox bracket. It just looks better quality Does anyone else have the same one or know the make?

Also the Sard cat is mounted at the start of the catback. I thought the cat needed to be fairly close to the engine to get the heat to make it 'work', am I right?

Thanks

Rob

29042010028.jpg

29042010029.jpg

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

The 'for race use only' is just the manufacturer covering themselves, you see it a lot on aftermarket parts. I would use the one with the flexi joint, it absorbs some of the vibration that can lead to cracking.

I don't understand your last sentence.

Thanks nic, much appreciated.

My English is not good. I am from the westcountry ;)

The exhaust I bought has the sard cat fitted in the 1st section of the catback, ie the middle section 8-10" behind the original 2nd cat. I was just under the impression, maybe wrongly that the cat had to be as near to the engine as possible to get heat into them.

Thought the best place for an aftermarket cat would be in the 2nd decat pipe?

Thanks again

Rob

I'll see if I have pics, but def' a cat has the same look internally as a cat and has a stainless protector welded on the underside embossed with 'Sard catalytic converter'

I didn't choose it, just happened to be on a catback 2nd hand(but never used)

Also any ideas on what this 'bung' would be on the 2nd decat?

thanks for your help :)

Rob

25042010023.jpg

25042010024.jpg

Edited by Robzki (see edit history)

It does look like a SARD cat, I think it's a universal one that has been welded into the mid pipe.

http://www.sard.co.jp/after/products/muffler/catalyzer/hanyo/cata_hanyo.html

SARD do a sports cat specifically for the Supra but it replaces the stock first cat, as pictured below.

http://www.sard.co.jp/after/products/muffler/catalyzer/img/cata_JZA80vvti.jpg

The bung in the 2nd decat pipe is probably for the stock cat temp sensor, normally the sensor is just cable tied out of the way as they are not required.